Is the Revell USA P-51D canopy free of distortion?

oyoy5

Just wondering I have the Revell Germany issue and was wondering if the later release USA version addresses the canopy distortion issue the German release suffers from.

13 hours ago, oyoy5 said:

Just wondering I have the Revell Germany issue and was wondering if the later release USA version addresses the canopy distortion issue the German release suffers from.

Not the two I bought.  Many builders do not care.   Good news for me at least; bought 3 canopy sprues for $15 from Tamiya USA.

There is a difference. 

Rick

6 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

Not the two I bought.  Many builders do not care.   Good news for me at least; bought 3 canopy sprues for $15 from Tamiya USA.

There is a difference. 

Rick

Rick,

Did you buy & replace the sliding piece only or the sliding part + windscreen?

Larry

On 3/2/2020 at 2:49 AM, chrish said:

Id be curious of their quality as well. The LHS has 3 on the shelf for 48.00 each. A guy could buy a whole squadron for the price of 1 Tamiya kit

You could buy 30 Hyundai’s for the price of 1 Ferrari and ill let you guess what id and a huge proportion of car lovers would rather own and drive.

As for Mustangs thats why i have 1 Revell kit which needed a replacement for the crushed canopy and i have a Squadron of Tamiya ones which needed nothing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 10:30 PM, oyoy5 said:

I purchased a US distribution REVELL Mustang and the canopy was good, no distortion. Can’t say if all the models will be the same.

Jim

I was told by a HobbyTown employee that no one has complained about the canopy in the U.S. boxes, which of course carries the caveat that maybe no one complained to him but carries the hope the later batches are better. He also suggested writing the U.S. distributor for replacements instead of Germany just to be safe.

The nature of the windscreen rippling on the first releases in Europe looked like heat shrinkage caused by premature ejection from the mould.

Two bought kits and two Revell replacements, all faulty. Yet some bought at the same time elsewhere had perfect examples.

It's likely only better management of mould cycling time is all that was required, and not new moulds.