Can you backdate Revell Bf 109G-6 to a G-2 or G-4

oyoy5

The answer depends on if accuracy and tons of work is your goal or not. OOB, without any additional work or aftermarket, the answer is no, as the kit does NOT contain the parts needed to easily and accurately do a conversion. If you're willing to scratch build/modify included parts, then it is possible with work. 

As has been said I do both a simple G-2 and G-4 sets complete with decals in my AIMS range. email me at aimsmodels1@gmail.com if interested, thanks

http://www.aimsmodels.co.uk/Resin/1-32/1-32-pur/1-32-pur_86.html

http://www.aimsmodels.co.uk/Resin/1-32/1-32-pur/1-32-pur_90.html

Please note the sets are conversions not corrections! That is a waste of time to be honest as the knock on effects from Revell making the canopy opening 1mm too narrow are massive - in my opinion best to either use the Hasegawa kits or do so much to the Revell kit that the eye is tricked away from seeing the issue - just my opinion you understand

Edited by Pastor John

8 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

This is the first I’ve heard of that.  The Hasegawa Bf109F windscreen fits on the Revell fuselage perfectly.

54 minutes ago, Cheetah11 said:

The Hasegawa 109 G windscreen also fits perfectly.

Thanks. With two each of the Revell G-6 and G-10 it's good to know.

I have been hoping Revell would do more new variants like the Bf 109 G-2 and G-4 at a similar price. There was talk of this at one time, along with the Ju 88 C-6. 

Tony 

IIRC there was a Revell/Monogram Bf-109 G-4 kit.  Check out Hyperscale for an article about the conversion to a G-2.  I am too lazy and/or working on my I-16 for GB to look up the changes. I think there are 5.

HTH

Rick

Ian Robinson was the builder 

Edited by Rick Griewski
Added name

The Revell G4 that was already released some years ago was simply a reboxing of the Hasegawa kit (they did the same with the K4). With regard to the actual Revell productions, I'm remembering three kits were initially announced: a G6, a G10 Erla and a G4. So, we will probably get the G4 in the nearby future. This would not be surprising as there are very few differences with the G6 if you remove the 'Beule'. Last, regarding the canopy width difference, if my memory's right, it is located at the top of the part, not the bottom. So, it is not surprising you can use parts from one kit on the other one. 

Thierry 

35 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

There are more AM options for the Hasegawa kit to do so. 

I don't think so. AFAIK the only major backdate set for the Hasegawa kit (G6) was the Aires F4 set. Then, the G4 was also released. This is not (yet) the case for the Revell kit for which Alleycat and AIMS released conversions for all the early Gustavs.

18 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

...regarding the canopy width difference, if my memory's right, it is located at the top of the part, not the bottom. So, it is not surprising you can use parts from one kit on the other one. 

Thierry 

So, what John is saying is that the Revell 109 canopies taper-in too much towards the top ?

And by 1mm, which makes the kit unsuitable for further effort ? A bit harsh. I'm still in for the indigenous Revell Germany G-4 if they make it. 

Tony