1/35 KH MH-60L "Super 63"

Hawkwrench

Finally got a little more work done. It's just about ready for the primer Tonight I  spent about 2 hours scratchbuilding the T/R de-ice ring and wires. For the ring, I used a scrap piece of styrene and sanded it into a round circle. I then made 4 starter holes in the ring with a #77 bit followed up with a #75 bit. I made the wiring by using .020 lead wire and glued them on.
Just a little detail KH missed, so being a ex crew chief, I put in on there. (My SMEAMS was kicking in!)

20210110_012257

20210110_012349

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

3 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Hi Tim-

looking great! Will follow your lead when I get to the tail rotor! Thanks!

question for you- where do the tail rotor blades pivot? I need to throw a lot of pitch into my tail rotor blades for the hover-

cheers

Pete

Pete, the blades get their twist from the T/R pitch beam. The blades are elastomeric and twist when the pitch beam moves the PC links up or down. 

The retention plates stay flat, they do not twist. Only the blades.

blackhawk_tail_rotor_by_chrisahamer_d22hsma-fullview

HTH!

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

• 1 year later...

After a long break on Super 63, I decided to get back working on it. 

Honestly, i just lost my mojo and needed to take a break seeing I am working on multiple builds.

So anyways, I finally was able to start laying down paint on the small pieces such as the cargo doors.

They were painted with Vallejo NATO black which looks like the black the 160th helos use.

Along with that, the airframe is ready for the primer stage after I cover up the openings with foam. 

I bought a light booth setup, so hopefully the pics start to turn out better.

The cargo doors are weathered, but still need a gloss coat and decals. The door seals were painted with Tamiya Sky Grey.

20220307_233807

And the airframe in the new light booth 

20220308_000224

Chow for now!

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

1 hour ago, shark64 said:

Looking good. Please take your time. Modeling is never a race to the finish.

Thanks Oliver!

I've been working on this for a better part of 3 years I think.

Wanting to get it done for a contest at the end of the month, so fingers crossed it gets finished!

Tim

• 7 months later...

Tim,

That's it? I was hoping to see more photos... from the photos you posted on my build, I know you have made some significant progress. It is interesting to see how you and Pete attacked some challenges of this kit. Zorro

16 hours ago, Zorro said:

Tim,

That's it? I was hoping to see more photos... from the photos you posted on my build, I know you have made some significant progress. It is interesting to see how you and Pete attacked some challenges of this kit. Zorro

Zorro, I cut my hand pretty bad at work back in April and my index finger is still not back to normal.

(I severed 1 of 2 nerves when it happened).

I'm hoping I can start again real soon.

Tim

3 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

Zorro, I cut my hand pretty bad at work back in April and my index finger is still not back to normal.

(I severed 1 of 2 nerves when it happened).

I'm hoping I can start again real soon.

Tim

I am really sorry to hear that - I wish you a full recovery. Take your time. Zorro