1/35 KH MH-60L "Super 63"

Hawkwrench

On 3/24/2020 at 3:05 AM, Hawkwrench said:

Should I spray a flat coat on or not?

I think you can leave the IP as is, regarding the lack of flat, it already seems flat to me. The glass might do with a bit of semi-gloss, it strikes a good balance between to shiny and not enough, that's just my opinion anyway. The one thing I would consider, is a dusting of find sand, getting between all the panels an switches, and once it gets in, it near impossible to clean out. If done with enough subtlety, it will really make the IP pop!

She looks amazing so far, keep it going!

Cheers,

Anthony

Tim,

First, before coating your dials with either choice you decide you need to dry brush your IP in order to make the details pop out. I would personally use clear resin in the dials to simulate glass but gloss finish is also an option.  Good luck.

Oliver

2 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

Anthony, I never thought about sand in and on the panels. May have to try it.

Tim

stay away from silver or white. I would do a Buff Titanium  oil paint. Remember light application. You only want to accent and not paint.

5 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

Anthony, I never thought about sand in and on the panels. May have to try it.

Tim

I would defer to the experts, but my experience with the Blackhawk as a passenger, and by some images I remember, that stuff gets everywhere. Once in the nooks and crannies, it never comes out. They don't call it "dust off" without reason.  

Another note, one of my NCO's was practical about even our rifles and other weapons and machines. He said it simply as "these are machines, they are supposed to be dirty", continuing on, he thought it was ridiculous to expect our M4's and other gear to look brand new between cleanings. To me, he was the most logical of all. The white glove routine after having run hundreds of rounds through a weapon, was just silly and impossible, especially the star chamber of the AR-15 class of rifles.

Our HMMWV (Humvee) was no different, no matter how hard we tried, using basically a fire hose, once dried, the dirt and sand would magically appear again. I don't think they would even try that high volume and pressure hose on the delicate IC of a Blackhawk. If they did, I know I would not want to fly in it again! 

That said, you and the rest of the gang have far more experience than I do, so my idea should be taken with the second opinion considered for certain. But a very powdery light sand that wipes away from the high areas, should give the effect I am talking about. No matter what you choose to do, I am sure it will look great!  

I wonder if the company that sells those dials, ANYz Models, is ready for the business it is about to receive, I know I already have plans to order quite a few of their products.  

Cheers,

Anthony

1 hour ago, Hawkwrench said:

instrument decals are made by Airscale.

I did not realize that, very nice. The IP has great relief details, on such big kits, almost a must, especially if they are open. I have eduard sets for my Academy kits, and will probably use them, along with the knobs by ANYz, those just knock it out of the park!

Thanks,

Anthony

21 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

I don't have any kind of oil paints. Any Vallejo suggestions instead?

Tim

It has to be oil paint. Water base paint will dry too fast and create issues .

59 minutes ago, Hawkwrench said:

I scratchbuilt the seat release handles and the inertia reel cables from lead wire and stretched sprue.

Very nice work...... I am surprised the Kitty Hawk kit doesn't have much of that detail included though. Hmmmmmm......

Cheers,

Anthony