1/35 KH MH-60L "Super 63"

Hawkwrench

Finally after years of wanting to know information about my friend Joe Pascetti's bird he crewed down in Mogadishu-Super 63, I have been able to befriend many crew chiefs and pilots who were there and was given many pics of OGS and their MH-60L's.

So tonight I finally started building it. First I had to correct the instrument panel and center console to represent close to what they looked like on the real MH-60L. The caution/advisory panel is located on the bottom left of the console on the real thing.

KH's panel, though very nice, represents a later year panel and has the CA on the instrument panel itself.  So I took and cut down and sanded the Academy part and shaved off the detail on the console and glued it in place.  

Next i shaved off the detail on the KH IP and replaced it with some PE detail parts from Airscale

20190429_022712_zpsylkpqgjk.jpg

Here's 2 pics of the C2 bird taken while down in Mogadishu. 

received_10211079949415145_zps89qurjei.j

20190409_221305_zpsafsibc5f.jpg

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

I have subscribed to this one. Super cool project and very nice start. Love to see the period photos, very inspirational. I have not yet pulled the trigger on the KH blackhawks but I fully intend to build one of each version. Will you be using Werner's Wings Irene! decals?

Cheers,

David

Really looking forward to this build as i am doing it myself. I've noticed a couple of guys who are doing really nice builds have zinc chromate chipping in the rear cabin. I've seen reference of it in the cockpit but never in the rear. In fact, i haven't seen much chipping in rear cabin at all. What are your thoughts?

Cheers

On 4/29/2019 at 8:23 PM, Hawkwrench said:

Here's 2 pics of the C2 bird taken while down in Mogadishu. 

received_10211079949415145_zps89qurjei.j

Tim

Off to a great start Tim.  Question- what’s that in the chin bubble?   Can’t tell if it’s a sign or something inside.  

The pilot was a Vietnam veteran who would always throw his armor in the chin bubble of his Huey. He did the same thing flying for TF 160. By the way, that's the cockpit floor armor you see.

Tim

16 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

The pilot was a Vietnam veteran who would always throw his armor in the chin bubble of his Huey. He did the same thing flying for TF 160. By the way, that's the cockpit floor armor you see.

Tim

Not sure I follow - is that the pilot's body armor in the bubble or is that a fixed "cockpit floor armor" which (I assume) would be present on the other side as well?    Did this guy have a second issue of armor that he wore or did he feel safer with his armor in the bubble?  Personally, I'd rather be wearing this stuff!

If you have any other detail shots of the cockpit floor armor, I'd love to see what this looks like.

Regards,

John

3 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

That was the floor armor you see in the pic and unfortunately no I don't have any cockpit floor pics

Tim

So that floor armor was a 160th specific mod?  

Yes and No. When I was in, in the 80's, we had floor armor called BASS that we had in our hawks. We didn't have the cockpit floor armor though. TF 160 apparently had the entire floor and cockpit armored up.

Tim

• 9 months later...