Canadian fighter contest

Those who does not know their history are doomed to repeat and relive it.

About a week ago I saw a FB troll pitching about Trudeau and how "He MUST get the F-35 for Canada, because everybody else already picked it as their main fighter". This was a repetitive post over and over again, only the pictures were different. In my opinion this was ridiculous and by many reasons, least of which is that I find F-35 to be a rather mediocre attempt to fill a gap in the arsenal. That is another subject. It isn't meant to be political, I only share it to describe the foundation of my interest in this particular subject.

Couple a days back I accidentally I bumped into this:

In my eyes, that says a lot. Not only about Canada, but how things are done in the industry. That goes for civil aircraft as well.

Don't know is this video should be looked from the perspective of irony or tragedy. Anyway, I hope you will enjoy.

Edited by Eagle Driver

Ofcourse, politics and money rule the world up to a certain level and then .....down the drain, there is nothing new about what's being shown in this video, no offence it is very clear and real, same rule applies to contemporary ways of trying to sell  aircraft, vessels, armoured vehicles, you name it.........

Funny thing though, ........we all like their 1/32 scaled down versions, don't we.........

3 hours ago, Jack said:

Ofcourse, politics and money rule the world up to a certain level and then .....down the drain, there is nothing new about what's being shown in this video, no offence it is very clear and real, same rule applies to contemporary ways of trying to sell  aircraft, vessels, armoured vehicles, you name it.........

Funny thing though, ........we all like their 1/32 scaled down versions, don't we.........

Yep! sure do...but they also (usually) come in  over budget with time over runs, unexpected contractor costs and with defective parts. Just like the real thing.

Were I the Canadian government, I would take a hard pass. I look at it this way. Canada's only real threat in the foreseeable future  (and really, its not a realistic threat, is it???) would come from their south, and if that happened, no matter how many or few f-35's they have, it wouldn't matter. They should concentrate on internal  security and security of their borders and waterways. I know there are political considerations about Canadian forces taking part in international peacekeeping and other "conflicts", but are they ever going to be the spearhead  and require the newest and the most advanced to do their part? No. I know it kind of sucks to depend on others, but if it came down to it and Canada was really threatened, the US policy in the Western hemisphere, handed down from the Monroe doctrine, pretty much secures Canada from outside threat. And if the US is the threat, well,  it wouldn't matter, would it?

10 hours ago, eoyguy said:

No. I know it kind of sucks to depend on others, but if it came down to it and Canada was really threatened, the US policy in the Western hemisphere, handed down from the Monroe doctrine, pretty much secures Canada from outside threat.

As I read this - “No need to invest in our military cause we know American boys will die to protect us”. 

Freeloader.  

Edited by John1

58 minutes ago, John1 said:

As I read this - “No need to invest in our military cause we know American boys will die to protect us”. 

Freeloader.  

First, I am in the  US

Second, from whom will the US  be protecting them? Canada isn't real big into military adventurism, nor are they a world power. They aren't leading international forces around the world.  They aren't going off to Europe as part of the British Empire to fight WWI. Unless of course you think China or Russia plan on mounting an amphibious operation to invade...Canada. Basically it sounds like you feel they should invest huge amounts of their economy simply to appear to be making a good  effort. You do realize that the  Canadian military, in total, fields less than 100,000 personnel across all branches? A little good sense and realistic expectation goes a long way,  unlike certain other nations who spend  50 percent of Federal discretionary spending on "defense", more than the next 10 countries combined, then ***** that they are underfunded if anyone tried to reign in that spending.:hmmm:Then again, Canada is planning on spending 66 billion for 15 tin can frigates, so maybe they aren't as wise as I thought after all...

Edited by eoyguy

19 minutes ago, eoyguy said:

First, I am in the  US

Second, from whom will the US  be protecting them? Canada isn't real big into military adventurism, nor are they a world power. They aren't leading international forces around the world.  They aren't going off to Europe as part of the British Empire to fight WWI. Unless of course you think China or Russia plan on mounting an amphibious operation to invade...Canada. Basically it sounds like you feel they should invest huge amounts of their economy simply to appear to be making a good  effort. You do realize that the  Canadian military, in total, fields less than 100,000 personnel across all branches? A little good sense and realistic expectation goes a long way,  unlike certain other nations who spend  50 percent of Federal discretionary spending on "defense", more than the next 10 countries combined, then ***** that they are underfunded if anyone tried to reign in that spending.:hmmm:Then again, Canada is planning on spending 66 billion for 15 tin can frigates, so maybe they aren't as wise as I thought after all...

I would suggest that in this age of shrinking ice packs and certain countries aggressively pushing their territorial claims for access / energy rights that Canada does have some threats, maybe more to the north?    But hey, as long as the US will protect them, why should they spend their hard-earned money on front line hardware?   

Don’t get me wrong, I think the US military is bloated and should be seriously cut back.   But if that happens, all the more reason why certain countries need to finally start paying for their own defense and not assuming that the US will pick up their slack.  

Alas, if I fully understand your pain (there are also questions in my country regarding the clarity and regularity of the process that led to the decision to get the stealth jack of all trades), this has alas nothing to do with aviation. They should not name that a 'contest' as this is just 100% politics... ☹️ 

Yeah, I agree with most of the written above, but the thread was how the politics distort the aviation in a weird way. One of the reasons F-35 exists in the first place.
And in the video they touched the prices subject. How come it always goes up? Well, simple economics. But this is something that is extremely overexploited and will lead us to a bitter end.