Pacific Coast Hurricane Mk.1 - Metal Wing

Iain

Working on the rudder and elevators that I'd removed from the fuselage and tailplane mouldings before assembling.

Edges trued up with my trusty T Bar and some 400 grit wet and dry, before adding strips of styrene to make new edges.

These have been blended in and the edges rounded - now filing out the slots where the hinges will go:

48b427_69ab30c27d894c83924966c9fa1de71f~

48b427_427170d1ec3c4449b1008f130afd66dc~

48b427_a4478ba80dba4315856b28bc07d988e0~

Really not keen on the Rotol prop (blades dry fitted) - but not sure I want to invest £20 on just a prop https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EAR32070?result-token=czF7A

48b427_5f3d165e000746199f713baa3a290a8a~

Canopy comments earlier in the thread - this is where we're at after reducing the height of the windshield:

48b427_b23f07fcde1446b8b25b942cce27cffb~

Making progress - and that's what counts...

Have fun!

Iain

Your windscreen mod looks almost spot on. Maybe just file a cowling matching curve on the lower windscreen to get it just right.

So many Hurricane models seem to mount the screen too high, which reduces the pugnacious look of the beast.

Edited by Chek

On 2/23/2020 at 7:33 AM, Iain said:

Reshaped area on spine/rear of cockpit, canopy rails from 1mm brass extrusion - and I've had to reduce the height of the windshield by almost 2mm to get it to match the sliding portion.

Seems odd. It looks like (on the real a/c) they raised the windshield to match the sliding portion.

eIKyuAx.jpg

OlZyrhC.jpg

6c3tya1.jpg

They're all like this. Not tryin' to cause problems.

If I recall correctly there was a lot of tweaking done to the windshield at prototype stage - and the installation on the Hurricane always looked odd/scabbed on IMHO!  :)

I've studied lots and lots of images re. height of the kit part  - simply because, as moulded, the screen sits quite a bit higher than the sliding portion when closed - even allowing for squeezing in at the front (converging rails as Alain mentioned earlier).

Goes without saying - the two elements should line up at the top when closed.

I then looked at a number of previous builds of this kit and the screen looked too high.

So - took decision to reduce height to match sliding portion - a decision I stand by! :)

Yes - the base of the screen now needs modding/additions made with regards to the base framing - and the position of the upper horizontal frames - but I'm happy it will come good.

Everything in modelling has to be a compromise - the trick is fooling the eye of the viewer!  ;)

Iain

16 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Seems odd. It looks like (on the real a/c) they raised the windshield to match the sliding portion.

6c3tya1.jpg

They're all like this. Not tryin' to cause problems.

In the photo above, it's apparent that the windscreen would have a curved bottom edge, were the side panels continued as they are with a clear plastic moulding.

And that would require a curve filed onto the part. However the windscreen base construction is a bit more complex than that, although the excess height needs to be dealt with before modifying the base mounting

22 hours ago, Iain said:

the base of the screen now needs modding/additions made with regards to the base framing

I have (of course) the same problem re the position of the windshied. I plan to move the windshield rearward

just a tad to fit the flat plate in front without going past the panel line. My canopy will be open so I'm not so

concerned with things lining up perfectly.

Re the Rotol blades, they look nearly perfect to me but the spinner is noticeably off to me. I'm using one from

the old Revell Spitfire MkI/II (5516) as it's the best I've seen. Can't tell about the Eagle parts spinner cuz they

don't show the part in profile (GMF does the same thing  <_< ).

22 hours ago, Iain said:

Everything in modelling has to be a compromise - the trick is fooling the eye of the viewer!  ;)

Quite   ;)

• 1 month later...