Pacific Coast Hurricane Mk.1 - Metal Wing

Iain

Another one that's been resurrected and making progress again, at last!

This is the Pacific Coast model - have to say it looks better in the box than the build experience - lots of nips and tucks needed.

This will eventually carry the markings of Battle of Britain pilot Desmond Fopp - the grandfather of one of my friends.

48b427_51e161b68496446da99d76e8fb64d6d0~

48b427_0c7a56985da742b782297a21b4e2af0f~

48b427_f6ab7bd3a9944de394b96161cf800e86~

Reshaped area on spine/rear of cockpit, canopy rails from 1mm brass extrusion - and I've had to reduce the height of the windshield by almost 2mm to get it to match the sliding portion.

More when there's more...

Iain

Hi Max - indeed - I hadn't seen those parts until after you mentioned them.  :)

Looks like Brian and I came to the same conclusions - which is reassuring!

Hoping to get primer on later this week and I can then spend a while cleaning up a few things that I know will appear...

Iain

13 minutes ago, Iain said:

Hi Max - indeed - I hadn't seen those parts until after you mentioned them.  :)

Looks like Brian and I came to the same conclusions - which is reassuring!

Hoping to get primer on later this week and I can then spend a while cleaninfg up a few things that I know will appear...

Iain

Robert's "Pattle" figure goes very nicely with this kit too Iain.

Not sure on figure - if I see one that look's like Chris' grandfather I might give it a go, but airframe first!

Desmond Fopp also had an MG TA at this time - I've managed to acquire an old Matchbox TC that should form a suitable basis as and when.

Model will be given to Chris as a partial 'thank you' for all the time I've spent in the RHS seat of his Scottish Aviation Bulldog over the years...

Iain

Hi Iain!

Your Hurricane looks great, and the difficulty you had with the windscreen reminded me of a very significant article in Scale Aircraft Modelling, in the October 1999 issue called Hurricane Veracity.

The author notes the canopy rails are not parallel, but curve inward toward the front. This causes the sliding section to flex and the front to rise up to the windscreen. This could explain the discrepancy in height (although perhaps not 2mm) you noticed.

There are other interesting finds in the article among which is the shape of the wing leading edge to fuselage that is straight, not curved when looked at from above.

Alain

Hi Alain,

Yes, was aware of this: the rails on mine are closer at the front than the rear too - but that has nothing to do with the windscreen - it's too tall as moulded - which is why I did a double take looking at some previous builds of this kit.

I've taken the height of the widshield from the closed position of the sliding canopy - in the closed position on the model. Will post some images of it next time...  :)

Iain

Looking forward to this build Iain. I have the Fly kit to build as the same subject, possibly, so will follow with interest. Do you have a scheme for it?

P3539, YB-I was apparently Des's usual aircraft. If you are building this one you may want to remove a scale 3 inches from the prop tips - this was apparently removed (by hacksaw!) after a taxiying accident. I am sure I have a partial photo of this plane (but can't lay my hands on it at the moment) which from memory showed a pale spinner with markings on it. I'll see if I can dredge it up from the bowls of my current disorganized state.

Another aircraft he flew was P3673, YB-E, in which he was shot down on 3 September 1940. Apparently parts of this aircraft have been recovered by the London Air Museum following some archaeological digs. Not sure if they would be prepared to part with any pieces but they can only say 'No'.........

Edited by Pete Roberts