ICM 32040 Gloster Gladiator Mk.1

Iain

Good review of a superb kit Iain, thank you. At some point this year I hope to make a Gauntlet based on this kit, the AIMS cockpit set arrived this morning. That also looks a very worthwhile addition to any Gladiator plans. 

Thanks for a very informative review.

I'm torn between subjects: 73 Sqn pre-war; 247 Sqn in the Battle of Britain (yes, really); or a 1944 met reconnaissance Mk II.

Nice instructive and detailed review, Iain. Strangely it's something like a sense of déjà vu to me ;)

One note though about your criticism of the kit engine:

” Also, the part that represents the push-rods is good in front view, but then takes the profiles of what should be round section tubes on the real aeroplane, back to the cylinders. This is clumsy to my eyes and I'll replace with plastic rod when I get to build mine."

On the Gladiator, the push rods were enclosed in a casing. That gave them the peculiar profile depicted on the kit. The stock engine is correct. There's no need to modify it.

800px-Bristol-Mercury-VII.jpg

HTH

Quang

Aha - thanks Quang - from photos I had to hand it looked like they were a standard round cross section - looks like they'll just need a tweek at the rear to round them off?

Review amended!  :)

Is that an image I can use? Good one to add to the review...

Iain

Er... from what I see from the photo, the back is open. You don’t even need to round them off.

To be frank, I admit I was tempted to replace them with metal rods myself until I looked closely at photos of the real thing.;)

Edited by quang

If I can get the photos done today I'll be reviewing two of the new AIMS products:

32PE012 Gloster Gladiator Cockpit

32D022 Gloster Gladiator Mk.1 Decals - silver schemes - 56 Sqn, 73 Sqn, 87 Sqn.

87 Squadron is calling me...    :)

Iain