1/24 scale Rockets, US 5 inch HVAR, WWII and Korean War

Model_Monkey

Model Monkey is happy to announce a set of four 1/24 scale 5-inch HVAR rockets has been added to the catalog.

This accurately scaled and detailed set of models represents fully fused 5-inch High Velocity Aircraft Rockets (HVAR) carried by US Army Air Force, US Navy and US Marine Corps aircraft during World War Two and the Korean War. These rockets were also fit to aircraft flown by allied forces including the RAF, RCAF, RAAF, RNZAF and RSAAF, etc. 

HVAR rockets were typically fit to many USAAF, USN and USMC single-engine fighter aircraft such as the F6F Hellcat, F4U Corsair, P-51 Mustang, P-47 Thunderbolt, the TBF/TBM Avenger, and later the F-80C Shooting Star, F-84E Thunderjet, F9F Panther, and F-86 Sabre. It was also used by some multi-engined aircraft such the PV-1 Ventura and PV-2 Harpoon.

file.php?id=124806&mode=view

file.php?id=124807&mode=view

file.php?id=124808&mode=view

file.php?id=124809&mode=view

file.php?id=124810&mode=view

file.php?id=124811&mode=view

file.php?id=124818&mode=view

file.php?id=124813&mode=view

file.php?id=124814&mode=view

file.php?id=124816&mode=view

file.php?id=124817&mode=view

Edited by Model_Monkey

Thanks, D!

The Beaufighter observer's station has been delayed due to lack of sufficient authoritative references to complete it.  More information regarding instrumentation, radar equipment and the four ammunition bins and their feed chutes is needed.  Available references indicate that the station's equipment varied considerably from Mark to Mark, even aircraft to aircraft.  This has complicated and frustrated research efforts because available references disagree as to what a typical station equipment fit might be.  Radar set components were a closely-held secret therefore obtaining references that state equipment (box) and component dimensions has been very difficult and slow.

The designs for the floor up to the aft spar and the observer's seat are complete.

I do regret any disappointment the delay is causing.

Any help with equipment component configuration and dimensions and ammo bin/ammo chute dimensions is appreciated. 

In the mean time, work has begun on a 1/24 scale Kawanishi N1K2-J Shiden Kai cockpit for the classic Bandai kit.

Edited by Model_Monkey

I do understand the need for accuracy prior to marketing parts. But, this is my take on the situation:

5 hours ago, Model_Monkey said:

The Beaufighter observer's station has been delayed due to lack of sufficient authoritative references to complete it. 

As you know, I have exhaustively searched the internet myself for the little bits of information posted in the previous thread, so I do understand your position completely. However, if conclusive information were available, it would have come to light by now. And, if it does come to light after producing your sets, then you'll have that to make alterations as necessary. No?

More information regarding instrumentation, radar equipment and the four ammunition bins and their feed chutes is needed.  Available references indicate that the station's equipment varied considerably from Mark to Mark, even aircraft to aircraft.

Maybe just pick two and run with them? Radar operator station and observer station would be my choices because they can be adapted to Mks. IV, VI, VII, X and .21 as needed by the builder. With all that was posted previously, there is most certainly enough information to provide both configurations (NF Mk.IV and Mk.21). If a disclaimer were placed in the description on your site stating exactly what you stated in the above quote, then buyers would/should understand the situation as being 'designed to the best available references' before clicking the "Add to Cart" button. 

The designs for the floor up to the aft spar and the observer's seat are complete.

So close! And, none of us are getting any younger. ;););)

JMHO, of course. But I am ready and waiting to buy no less than 3 of the rear compartment sets when they're available (1 radar, 2 observer), as well as a set of the "Early Tailplanes" and some other miscellaneous stuff. 

TIA,

D

11 hours ago, D Bellis said:

....With all that was posted previously, there is most certainly enough information to provide both configurations (NF Mk.IV and Mk.21). ...

Actually, despite your and my best research efforts (your AI Mk.IV radar manual find is a huge help), unfortunately, no, there's not yet enough information.  We're getting closer, but we're not quite there yet.

The awesome radar manual you found provides an amazing amount of very detailed information, especially with respect to electronic characteristics and electrical components.  Most importantly for our purposes, the radar manual states in a table exactly how big the enclosure of each major component is.  That information is utterly critical in designing a 3D model.  Without overall dimensions, I don't know how big to design any of the components (is "Receiver R3066" the size of a deck of cards, a shoebox or the size of a mini-fridge?).  The manual you found provides those answers.  Perfect.

There is still one critical piece of missing information.  Where does the equipment go and how is it fixed to the airplane?  Sketches in the radar manual only show general placement in the aircraft but don't show precisely how the equipment was mounted. Presently, I am not able to determine the exact position of the equipment on the 3D-printed model or tell the modeler how to install the equipment in their plastic Revell Beau model.  Available photos of aircraft under restoration don't show the equipment mounted.  That's the quest at present.

There are two basic designs I'd like to offer: a radar-equipped station and a non-radar equipped station.  Obviously, the equipment for each is very different.  So, in order to create a 3D model of each piece of equipment for non-radar aircraft, too, what is needed is a list of the non-radar equipment for the non-radar equipped Mk.X / Mk.21, with overall dimensions for each individual piece of equipment on the list.  I don't have that yet.  The radar manual gives us good photos of the radar equipment, but doesn't give us any information about the other non-radar equipment of the observer's station, especially for those aircraft that didn't have radar. 

For non-radar aircraft, more information is needed about applicable non-radar instruments.  I have good information about what the "navigation panel" looked like and bezel sizes, but not other equipment off the panel.  The Franks book (a superb reference) has some great information but it's not sufficiently detailed to make 3D models of any other instruments or equipment that were present in a typical non-radar Beaufighter.  The Franks book does provide a list of major equipment but does not show much about what it looked like.  We need photos of any non-radar equipment with at least 2 views, front and side (3 ideally including top) for detailing.*  And we need to see how each piece of equipment is mounted so that if there is a mounting like a table or tray or rack, it can be designed in 3D, too. 

Then there is the 20mm cannon ammo bins and their feed chutes.  I know the bins were big and about how big they were, but not with certainty.  I know the forward pair were probably slightly different in shape and size than the aft pair because the position of the guns they fed were different.  We need better, authoritative, dimensioned 2D drawings of the ammo bins and their feed chutes with better supporting photos.**  I know absolutely nothing about the feed chutes.

Comparatively, the cockpit is extremely well-documented and research was much, much easier (and faster).  Both of the available model cockpits and their associated radios are very accurate because authoritative references were plentiful (if a bit costly).

Every so often, a golden nugget of needed information does come to light and I update the design accordingly.  We just need more information to complete the design.  In the mean time, I'll continue to work on other projects that I hope will delight you.

* Photos are needed to help identify details and features.  During the design, the 3D model is superimposed over photos and details.  Features are then sized and positioned to match the photos. That's how I am presently designing the radar components.  It is a slow process, but results in great models.

** I do have some drawings and photos of the bins but those photos and drawings just don't show enough of the bin, especially the feed chute attachment points, to make a 3D model of them.  None of my references show how big they were.  I do know that some early aircraft such as the early NF Mk.I didn't have bins at all.  Their cannons were drum-fed.  Spare drums were stored in racks, the observer was expected to reload the cannons in flight by swapping out drums.  But I've got nothing on the rack nor the drum. 

Edited by Model_Monkey

21 hours ago, Model_Monkey said:

Model Monkey is happy to announce a set of four 1/24 scale 5-inch HVAR rockets has been added to the catalog.

This accurately scaled and detailed set of models represents fully fused 5-inch High Velocity Aircraft Rockets (HVAR) carried by US Army Air Force, US Navy and US Marine Corps aircraft during World War Two and the Korean War. These rockets were also fit to aircraft flown by allied forces including the RAF, RCAF, RAAF, RNZAF and RSAAF, etc. 

HVAR rockets were typically fit to many USAAF, USN and USMC single-engine fighter aircraft such as the F6F Hellcat, F4U Corsair, P-51 Mustang, P-47 Thunderbolt, the TBF/TBM Avenger, and later the F-80C Shooting Star, F-84E Thunderjet, F9F Panther, and F-86 Sabre. It was also used by some multi-engined aircraft such the PV-1 Ventura and PV-2 Harpoon.

file.php?id=124806&mode=view

file.php?id=124807&mode=view

file.php?id=124808&mode=view

file.php?id=124809&mode=view

file.php?id=124810&mode=view

file.php?id=124811&mode=view

file.php?id=124818&mode=view

file.php?id=124813&mode=view

file.php?id=124814&mode=view

file.php?id=124816&mode=view

file.php?id=124817&mode=view

Once again, beautiful work!! Should be popular for that new P-51 Korean War boxing!