A-7A Corsair `Streetcar 305'

ericg

With the work on my F-100D build coming to an end, I started my next jet project. I obtained the Trumpeter A-7E kit from a local second hand trader. The kit had a few parts removed from the sprue and some minor components had been glued together (only discovered after I had purchased it and got it home). This suited me fine however, as it fit within this years New Years resolution of only building stuff that I had already started... I have a few of these in my stash that’s for sure.

I felt that with a project of this size, I would try and find a subject pilot, as this is my absolute favourite way of building a kit. There is nothing better than involving a person who once flew the aircraft that I am making a model of and trying as hard as I can to make it as authentic as I can to their memories of the aircraft. There are many stories that are untold, that sometimes a project like this can impart to many people. I am very interested in the Vietnam conflict and asked the question on one of the Facebook groups dedicated to the A-7 Corsair. I was pleased to report that one such individual answered my call and it is my pleasure to introduce him to you.

I asked Tom to tell me a summary of his Naval Aviation career.

I entered the navy in 1965 as a Naval Aviation Cadet (NAVCAD) and earned my Wings of Gold in 1967. I initially trained on the T-34B Mentor, T-2A Buckeye and F-9 Cougar before getting orders to one of the first A-7 squadrons in 1967. I flew 98 combat missions over North Vietnam and Laos flying off the USS America in 1968. I was flying the A-7A with VA-82 of which 49 of them were night missions. During my 31 years in the navy, the first 20 years I primarily flew the A-7A/B Corsair II, A-4L Skyhawk, and F-8L Crusader. People often ask me which one I liked best and I answer that it’s sort of like women, you like the one you are with at the time best. I never flew a navy plane that I didn’t absolutely love.

I was also very interested in his aviation career after the military, being a fellow airline pilot. Here is what he had to say:

After I got off active duty with the navy in 1969 and went back to college at Embry Riddle in Daytona (while flying the F-8s in Atlanta Reserve squadron, I got hired with a small commuter airline flying the Beech-99s. I then flew as a F/O on a Lear-23 before getting hired by Eastern Airlines in 1972. I was with Eastern for 18 years before moving to United Air Lines in 1990. 

I flew and instructed on the B-727 and B737 for United and worked in the training department as a Pilot Instructor. Eventually moving to flying the B-747-400, I stayed on the -400 for the rest of my career before retiring at age 60 as a B747 captain. 

I then went to work as a pilot instructor and check airman for Boeing on the B-747-400 training in Seattle and Denver and then I commuted to Seoul for 5 years teaching KAL pilots. I also taught a lot of 3rd party 737 pilots (Hong Kong Air, Mongolian International Air Transport (MIAT), Asiana. 

My last airline job was working for 5 years as a training check airman for Evergreen Air Lines on the Large Cargo Freighter (LCF) flying and training on the B747 LCF (Large Cargo Freighter). We transported the wings and fuselage for the B-787 inside the LCF from Italy and Japan back to the states for final assembly by Boeing.

Here is a pic of Tom, on active duty in 1968

Tom%20in%20A-7%20Yankee%20Station%201968

And his last aviation gig a decade or so ago:

IMG_1575-M.jpg

Here is an excerpt from the USS America CVN-66 1968 cruise book. Tom can be found on page 309, and his good mate Kenny Fields of ‘Sreetcar 304’ fame can be found on the previous page.

https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv66-68/index_028.htm

Tom has signed up as a member in this forum, (callsign BURNER) and will be contributing to this build in due course.

Whilst researching the Corsairs efforts in Vietnam, I saw that the earlier versions were a little different to the E and D as offered by the Trumpeter kits. I was secretly hoping that the subject pilot would be one that flew an earlier version so that I could do a conversion and I was glad when Tom volunteered (I thought in the Navy you never volunteer for anything?) that he flew the A and B model. In fact, Tom picked up brand new A models from the Vought factory and flew them in Combat with the VA-82 Marauders during the types introduction into the war. One of the ones that Tom flew from the factory now resides at the Hickory Aviation Museum here:

http://nebula.wsimg.com/3e256ab57f0d2d45d9854572ca5d2193?AccessKeyId=2158F2CB6BFA6619063B&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Some work on the kit. I obtained a PDF copy if the A/B flight manual, which I am using as my reference for most of the changes in the cockpit. I used the Aires D model resin cockpit and as a lot of the panel will be changed, the type didn’t really matter.

Here is the unmodified cockpit tub. Most of the changes in this part are restricted to the right side console.

IMG_2390-X5.jpg

I carved out some of the panels and replaced them with plastic card.

IMG_2449-X5.jpg

IMG_2448-X5.jpg

next up was the Aires main wheel bays. The fit of these is extremely poor, being far too undersized. I chose one of the sides of the bay as the reference side, glueing it into position with superglue, and then epoxying in the rest of the sides.

IMG_2457-X5.jpg

The  resulting gaps.

IMG_2453-X5.jpg

The gaps were filled with thick plastic card which I left protruding front the sides of the fuselage and then sanded smooth. I will cover the small gap on the rear edge of the well with thin plastic card.

IMG_2501-X5.jpg

The biggest aspect of the kit that will be changed is the removal of the single minigun port on the lower left fuselage and the addition of the cannon ports either side of the nose.

The bulged fairing over the port was one of the small items glued in place by the previous owner of the kit.

IMG_2349-X5.jpg

I removed the fairing, and then filled the inside of the oblong hole with plastic card, as well as the pilots folding ladder well. These were then sanded smooth.

IMG_2499-X5.jpg

Edited by ericg

Thanks for the comments guys.

9 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Excellent project Eric, this great to see you building a Navy aircraft! :) Are you going to correct the horrible kit canopy and intake? 

yes Ben, I have done the intake and nose cone already and have the canopy correction pending.

Nice subject Eric, one thing to note the A/B version had different panels lines in some areas, the US Navy A-7 Corsair II Units of the Vietnam War has drawings (if they can be trusted) that show them. One other difference is the air start receptacle on the A/B is on the port side.

Jari 

1 hour ago, Finn said:

Nice subject Eric, one thing to note the A/B version had different panels lines in some areas, the US Navy A-7 Corsair II Units of the Vietnam War has drawings (if they can be trusted) that show them. One other difference is the air start receptacle on the A/B is on the port side.

Jari 

Hi Jari,

Thanks  for the info. I will be going over the model with a fine toothed comb and re scribing the different panel lines. I notice that there are a few vents that will need to be constructed as well. I will verify each new panel line with photos of multiple aircraft.

1 hour ago, Finn said:

Eric, if you want to add a few "details" to your Corsair:

93930013.jpg

the dots on the panels are for anti-corrosion on the fasteners. Or how about a load of Snakeyes and Bullpups, with proximity fuzes on them:

webmedia.php?irn=12284

webmedia.php?irn=12285

Jari

Hi Jari, I have seen that pic before and I would have loved to do that scheme as it has a Boomerang on the tail, a traditional aboriginal weapon well known by us Aussies. You do raise an interesting point about the weapons load though. I am still undecided about what will occupy the wing hard points. It will have to be an authentic load and one which Tom actually flew with. I have already asked him in a previous email and this was his reply.

‘ One of my most significant sorties was when I attacked and completely destroyed a large multi-story transshipment warehouse in near Vinh, North Vietnam. I hit it on two separate runs with large (1800#/810KG) Bullpup missiles (AGM-12B). It had a 1000#(440KG) warhead and flies at Mach 1.8 while you try to aim it with a small joystick on the left/forward console.’

We will work together to find a load out that both tells a story and showcases the load carrying ability of the aeroplane.

Some more work.

The E model has a large lump under the fuselage, which was not present on the A or B (I hope!) I removed it with a razor saw, very carefully in case I made a mistake and had to replace it!

IMG_2459-X5.jpg

I glued some plastic card on the inside of the hole to act as a support and attached the part to the fuselage. Once it was set, I used some paper and sketched over the hole with a lead pencil, which left heavier deposits on the corners of the hole.

IMG_2484-X5.jpg

I then glued the paper to some thick plastic card, and then cut out the shape, refining it with a sanding stick until it fit into the hole perfectly.

IMG_2485-X4.jpg

This was then sanded smooth, ready for rescribing.

IMG_2497_heic-4K.jpg

Anyway, enough about the model, here are some more pics from Tom!

Tom is the handsome guy in the middle, about to fly at an air show at Cecil field, Jacksonville Florida in 1968.

Tom%27s%20Photos-003-X2.jpg

Tom is the slot aircraft in this diamond formation.

VA-82%20formation%20Mother%27s%20Day%201

Tom taxiing in after the display. He told me his vertical stab charred was when he was flying in the slot in that diamond formation and got too close and too high, and burned the tail. But, the formation looked great!

Burned%20tail-M.jpg

I love your approach to these builds - including details about the pilot really elevates this and adds a human touch to what is otherwise just some plastic.  Years ago I built a kit of a US Navy Tracker that crashed in a nearby town when I was a kid.   It culminated with meeting the widow and sons of one of the deceased pilots.    By far the most satisfying build I’ve ever done.   Keep up the good work, I’ll be following closely.  

Those are great shots! Don’t think I’ve ever seen VA-82 with CVW-15 markings (NL) on the tail. Must be right after getting A-7s as big Navy juggled squadron and air wing assignments.

Thanks for sharing. (And that little bump you cut off was not present on early model SLUFs).

Peter