Sign in to follow this  
Astro32

The heck is going on?!?!?

A week ago my cousin Furrokh passed away from stomach cancer. He was 94. His son has lymphoma but so far he's responding to treatment. This last Saturday my best friend called me to let me know he's got leukemia. He's going to refuse treatment for it. Just about going out of my mind with all this. They say everything happens in threes but this is nuts!

It's just about all we have left to die from in the advanced societies. We've done away with many of the other diseases that plague us. Took my grandmother, took my brother-in-law, took part of my mom (but the ALS got the rest).

Cancer has become the common cold. It's all the crap they put in our food as "preservatives". ...................Puts away tinfoil hat. 

Kidding aside, it is so prevalent of late, damn scary.

Anyone who lives to 94 without getting cancer of some kind is very lucky.  Sad to say, but that's the truth.  

I don't know if cancer is becoming more prevalent, or if we're just better at detecting it than we used to be.  Possibly both.

Sorry to hear about your experience.  It sucks.  Just lost a friend my exact age to metastatic prostate cancer.

Life is short - eat dessert first.  Take the trip.  Buy the model.  Hug your loved ones.  You never know when it'll be the last time for any of that.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, my cousin had a good long life, and the majority of it in very good health. But his son & my best friend having it? A little overwhelming.

Probably just paranoia on my part but I can't help believing, at least for my generation (baby boomer), that all of the above ground nuclear testing that went on during my early years and blanketed the earth with radioactive fall out, is responsible for the cancer that has flourished in folks of my age. It ended up most every where, in the water, our food chain and in the air. I remember as a child mothers being told not to give their children milk at certain times due to the cows eating grass with fallout on it.

We've lost 7 family members in the last 18 months or so. :( I feel your pain. Some were old, some were total shocks... some were definitely questionable but yeah... been a rough year. Hope things get better for you.

On 2/20/2020 at 1:50 PM, Astro32 said:

A week ago my cousin Furrokh passed away from stomach cancer. He was 94. His son has lymphoma but so far he's responding to treatment. This last Saturday my best friend called me to let me know he's got leukemia. He's going to refuse treatment for it. Just about going out of my mind with all this. They say everything happens in threes but this is nuts!

May I ask why your friend with leukemia?

I am sorry you are having such issues.

1 hour ago, mpk said:

May I ask why your friend with leukemia?

He's been anemic for something like 20 years, but the doctors figured it was "his normal" as he was just outside the average. But lately he's been getting worse, so his doctor had more tests done, and it's leukemia. I don't believe a cause has been determined, if that's even possible I wonder?

It's possible. Sometimes it is hard to determine the cause if there are no genetic or environmental factors to explain it. My brother-in-law died at 35 from Stage IV lung cancer. He was not a smoker, grew up in a non-smoking home (although he had a step-mother who did, but he only saw her for a few days during the summer), and was an outdoor enthusiast and very fit. No family history of cancer. Whereas I grew up in a family of smokers (mom survived throat cancer, grandmother succumbed to breast cancer), am pale-skinned and grew up unprotected in the Florida sun, don't exercise for crap, and am in my mid-50s. But I (so far) have nothing going on. Sometimes it seems to be a case of getting short-strawed by luck.

My mom was later diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Wrong; it was ALS. My wife nearly died from something when we first moved to NYC. They never could tell us what it was she had. Sometimes I think medicine is just guessing.