Sirkosky H.34 Helicopter.

shark64

39 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Have you tried MRP (Mr. Paint) before? They do have an International Orange shade, and are ready to spray straight from the bottle.

Matt 

Matt. 

Mrp paint?? Never heard of them...let me take a look. Thanks...Just ordered 2 bottles.

Edited by shark64

1 hour ago, shark64 said:

Matt. 

Mrp paint?? Never heard of them...let me take a look. Thanks...Just ordered 2 bottles.

Wow Oliver if you have never used MRP you are in for a treat. 

I used MM enamel for years, but when they stopped putting paints out, I fully switched over to MRP.

It's a lacquer carrier with an acrylic particulate, and goes down as smooth as a baby's posterior.

Cleans w/Mr color thinner and needs nothing to be added to it for maximum results.

49 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow Oliver if you have never used MRP you are in for a treat. 

I used MM enamel for years, but when they stopped putting paints out, I fully switched over to MRP.

It's a lacquer carrier with an acrylic particulate, and goes down as smooth as a baby's posterior.

Cleans w/Mr color thinner and needs nothing to be added to it for maximum results.

A lacquer carrier with acrylics particulate??/what does that mean? is it oil based?  Mr thinner to clean? does it clean with something else...windex??? 

2 hours ago, shark64 said:

A lacquer carrier with acrylics particulate??/what does that mean? is it oil based?  Mr thinner to clean? does it clean with something else...windex??? 

Its considered an "acrylic lacquer". It is technically an acrylic paint, but unlike water based type acrylics, this one is lacquer based and also unlike some acrylics, the lacquer carrier gives the paint an great "bite" into the plastic, so you get a great bond to the material like enamels. MRP is the same type base as Mr Color paint.  The disadvantage of it is that its around $7 or more a bottle, but it goes a lot longer than one would think if the base color is right. Initially when I started out with MRP, I did NOT like the fact that it was pre-thinned..................now after literally years of using MRP I have found that is one thing I LOVE! No more mixing, no more guessing about thinning ratios, just perfectly thin paint that is always thinned the same way each and every time. 

However, because it is actually an acrylic the drying time is just a few minutes to the touch, and fully dry and able to mask in a few hours or less. I hate to oversell things, but this paint is bloody marvelous! Its perfectly thin, sprays like a dream, and lays down in a rock hard semi-gloss finish with the exception of their flat colors.

Cleans up with Mr thinner, but does not need thinner mixed in to be AB ready as its spray ready right out of the bottle . They now have a HUGE lineup of paint, and are jumping into many different specialty areas as well.

BTW, their line of flat, semi-gloss and gloss clears are wonderful as well. 

On 1/19/2022 at 1:50 PM, airscale said:

..this is just not possible...

my senses tell me it's real, but it is just not possible

there are none better Oliver, it is as simple as that

Thanks Pete

Since I am doing an engine change diorama I found a US truck in 1/32 since 1/35 was noticeably smaller with the helicopter. The truck is a 1960?70 kit from RENWALL.  I have never done any armor work before so Its time to go to the modeling books and learn how to paint armor. 

5882663B-31BA-4C75-B4A4-EC05E1012E82.jpe

Edited by shark64

Thanks to Matt helping me finding the right Orange for this helicopter. Orange is  tricky to apply since i have never done  anything this large and shading  is different from using brown, black, black green or Burn Umber so I need to find the right complimentary color to orange, So a color study is needed. Will let this dry for a few hours before I apply the International Orange. 

3ACE34B8-D940-4FF6-911C-9ECC7CAB6686.jpe

Edited by shark64

The overall orange helicopters from back in the day were always my favorites, but best I remember, that paint job didn’t hold up well and started showing its age almost immediately.  Can’t wait to see what you do with it!