Best P-47 cockpit sets in 1/32 for Hase. and Trumpy.?

seiran01

Google hasn't been as helpful as I'd like, so I'll ask here... Can anyone comment on the best option(s) for resin P-47 cockpits out there in 1/32 scale? I'm aware of the Eduard PE sets but prefer to avoid etch when I can. 

I've heard the Avionix / Black Box set is good, but haven't heard much about the Aires pit which seems more available. Thinking non-corrugated floor as I'm planning on cobbling together a P-47M from a Hasegawa -D. 

How are the cockpits in the Trumpeter Razorback and -N? I have both these kits as well but haven't looked closely enough at the levels of detail... Do these "need" improvements, and are any available in resin as well? Excluding the Master Casters set as I don't care to correct the slightly misshapen windscreen. 

Thanks in advance!
-Mike

Yep, MDC is the best choice (and the only choice as far as I'm concerned) for the Hasegawa kit.  You get both floors as I remember (corrugated and flat).  I don't recall seeing anything for the Trumpeter kit either as far as resin cockpit sets are concerned. 

Depending on how detailed you wanna be, all you'll need to replace on the Hasegawa P-47D kit is the prop.  Harold makes the prop (and includes 8-spoke wheels for the P-47N as well) but the C series R-2800-57 may prove elusive and is plainly obvious to those who are even remotely familiar with the P-47M.  There are aftermarket R-2800 C series engines but unless you're planning to show the engine exposed, most of it is hidden behind the cowl and wasted money.  Unfortunately, the distinctive features of the -57 engine are all up front.  You'll need a C series prop reduction gearcase and the Bendix-Scintilla dual magneto system (someone who used the early magneto's from the Tamiya F4U-1A kit may have a set to spare and then all you'll need find is the prop gearcase and the dual magneto)...Oh, and a prop governor.

Edited by Juggernut

Amazed I wasn't aware of MDC option until today... go figure! Looking at the review of it on Hyperscale, that's what I'll go with the for the Hasegawa. 

Are there any resin options for Trumpeter as well? I don't have good references but I'm assuming the -N cockpit is close enough to a late D or an M that I can use one of those pits. Not as sure about the razorback -D though

I have the Avionix set with the corrugated floor for the Hasegawa kit, and I'm pleased with the overall quality, detail, and accuracy for the price. The only exception is that I HATE molded in seatbelts!! I am considering carefully removing them and using the RB or HGW belts. When I get around to working on it again, that is.

I can't speak to how it stacks up to the MDC set, as I don't own that one. If the MDC set has no molded in belts, I'd go that way if the price is right.

Tim

The differences in length, width and depth between the Trumpeter and Hasegawa cockpit is considerable; I’ve always found the Trumpeter kit to be a little too portly for my tastes. Note that visibility into the Jug‘s cockpit is more limited than that of a  P-51D for example - I‘m finding the work I’m doing on my P-47 Cockpit is going to quickly disappear below the canopy sills. 

On 2/19/2020 at 4:16 AM, seiran01 said:

Google hasn't been as helpful as I'd like, so I'll ask here... Can anyone comment on the best option(s) for resin P-47 cockpits out there in 1/32 scale? I'm aware of the Eduard PE sets but prefer to avoid etch when I can. 

I've heard the Avionix / Black Box set is good, but haven't heard much about the Aires pit which seems more available. Thinking non-corrugated floor as I'm planning on cobbling together a P-47M from a Hasegawa -D. 

How are the cockpits in the Trumpeter Razorback and -N? I have both these kits as well but haven't looked closely enough at the levels of detail... Do these "need" improvements, and are any available in resin as well? Excluding the Master Casters set as I don't care to correct the slightly misshapen windscreen. 

Thanks in advance!
-Mike

Looking through factory drawings I found that all "Bubbletop" models had smooth floors, and the last one P-47 fitted with corrugated floor was D-23 Razorback.

Below is the factory smooth floor drawing mark  where we can clearly see that it was installed beginning from D-25 model. It was one of the feature of rearranged Bubbletop cockpit.

49569204698_ee71094495_b.jpg

It appears you're on to something here.  I just looked at the F-47D and N Illustrated Parts Catalog and it does list that part as the forward floor (reference in Fig. 22 to Fig. 13, Item 12).  I also looked at the middle and aft floor section blueprints and in both cases, it does support your conclusion.  It does not mention the P-47D-RA production though...that may be something we need to discover yet.  I'm not sure that Evansville used a different set of prints than Farmingdale but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that these changes may not apply to the -RA production run.

iKsk4nb.png

Nice catch!  Looks like there's some historical correction that's needed regarding when the flat floor implementation happened.