F-14D with GBU-24 (VF-213)

Hi guys,

I am building a last cruise VF-213 F-14D and would like to hang a GBU-24 from the left front pallet. Standard load for VF-213 at the time was a single GBU-12 with a GBU-38, or two GBU-38’s. However, that just looks a little puny on the big Cat and I have read that VF-213 had the highest tally of GBU-24 expenditures on prior cruises, so I am thinking the load should be feasible. If anybody knows for sure that GBU-24’s were not used on the last cruise, let me know.

Now for the major question. All the pics I have seen of the GBU-24 loaded live on the Cat show a single round on the left front pallet, with no other bombs on the aircraft. Was this really always the car? Ideally, I’d like to load a GBU-38 next to the GBU-24.

Thanks,

Marcel

From the carrier's cruise book:

https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cvn71-06/517.htm

the ordnance totals are for the whole carrier's Air Wings which isn't that much bombs really so most likely the GU-24 wasn't used. Also the right target may not have been available for the larger LGB. That doesn't mean they weren't loaded, just not used. 

Jari

Marcel,

I have a photo of a VF-213 jet with a single GBU-24 (rear pallet station), though it is from 2001during OEF.

Osprey Books: F-14 Tomcat Units of Operation Enduring Freedom, page 37

Per the text, during OEF, 9 GBU-24s were dropped, four by VF-213, three by VF-14, & two by VF-41

Hope that helps

-Scott

Thx guys! Scott, yeah, I have that Osprey book and was thinking that loading a GBU24 was therefore at least feasible, even if on the final cruise the main fare was GBU38 and GBU12.

Not really sure what I will do... The GBU24 will look really cool but I do want the model to be fully realistic.

Cheers,

Marcel

Thx for the feedback. Since I am building a final cruise VF-213 bird it just looks like the GBU-24 is an unlikely load. 

I may just go for two GBU-38’s, Videoaviation makes some very nice resin renditions. I can always hang my half-complete GBU-24 on a Mirage 2000D, plenty of pics showing that.

Cheers,

Marcel