themongoose

Help finding figures

So I have it in mind to do a diorama for my next LSP build. Seeing this picture of engine maintenance to me really brings a plane to life on the ground. Could you guys who use figures point me in the right direction to find guys that could be used to create this type of scene?

6BE4CC25-97C2-4896-AF1D-93D9FD3B4D2C-S.j

I’ve got the engine for the F-105. This will be mid 60’s era and USAF. Although for the scene it probably doesn’t matter what branch for most of them since uniforms and caps are optional :D

Edited by themongoose

I take it you are working in a 1/32 scale?  Then you should be looking at 54mm figures.  for 1/24 scale the 75mm range is more likely.

The biggest difficulty I can see is that in the figure-range of the hobby such 'behind the scenes'  figures generally do not sell well, and so nobody makes a specific effort to produce them.  Your best bet would be to look for poses that are suitable and 'rework' the clothing (much easier than having hte clothing work and adjusting the poses as this requires a total re-work of how the clothes 'fit' around the body - folds etc).

Alternatively you can always build them from scratch.  Could be fun.

Don’t ignore figures that are designed for armoured vehicles, there tend to be more of those on the market than airforce ground crew, and with a lick of paint who’s to know?  You can also buy individual heads and hands modelled by Hornet models, they are superb. You’ll have to look for a stockist in the US. 

Airfix multipose sets can often be found (in the UK at least) pretty cheaply.  Decently sculpted and there were seven sets as I recall, including an 8th Army set in shorts.  The Japanese set may not be that useful to you but the two US sets (US Marines and US Army) were wearing high leg boots which could be modified to jungle boots.  

Hornet does a few sets of 1/32 heads to supplement the rest of the range, which is mostly 1/35.  Roger does ship to the US but I’m sure there was a US distributor a few years ago, out in the Colorado area as I recall.

You might also look at Reedoak for mechanic types.

For example Miniart-Models35017 SOVIET TANK CREW AT WORK Scale: 1:35 and Academy’s figures 1:32

a4de0140afde.jpg

946b7aa4fa13.jpg

Academy’s figures 1:35 and aviation figures 1:32

9346a43f26cb.jpg

I just exchange the heads to make them a little different  

Edited by Dany Boy