? re Tamiyas F-4C/D raised panels

Lothar

48 minutes ago, Chek said:

What's odd is that considering the finesse of their recent 1/48 scale kits, all their 1/32 range is looking decidedly aged and clunky.

For most of the jet kits, I think that's right, with the exception of the F-16 which is a nice kit.

Of course, the WWII "super kits" are something entirely different.  We should have had a few more of those by now! 

1 hour ago, Chek said:

What's odd is that considering the finesse of their recent 1/48 scale kits, all their 1/32 range is looking decidedly aged and clunky.

Maybe for their jets, but remember that the 1/32 F-15 was first released 27 years ago, in 1993, and the F-4 was only 2 years later in 1995.  Considering the changes in molding technology and detail, it’s perhaps a little unfair comparing 25 - 27 year old kits to current new mold kits.  You can see the step change in the F-16 kit, which was nearly a decade later in 2004.  The F-16 still holds up well today, and the latest WW2 kits like the P-51, Corsair, and Mosquito are certainly comparable to today’s Tamiya kits, such as the 1/48 P-38.

Edited by Dave Williams

Yes that's true, I was specifically - if not narrowly -  thinking of their jet kits.

Their 1/32 more recent Spitfires, Mustangs Corsair and Mosquito are first class examples of plastic moulding and are unequivocally superb kits.

I'd just like them to revise or issue more jets!

I think Tamiya is probably the worst ennemy of Tamiya regarding the probability of new versions of such old kits! Their quality evolved so much that they do not seem willing to consider just adding a new sprue to replace some clunky items and add other ones. I still hope they could change their mind as it is what they are at last doing for some years with their AFV kits. 

Unbelievable...

what non-sense.

No aircraft in real life is made with raised panel-lines!... its just plainly stupid.( maybe unless it is a local repair patch with sealer around it) 

In aircraft production as far back as the 1930's ...The panels are either butted up against each other -  riveted and/or sealed or overlapped riveted /sealed.

The reason ( as i understand) for raised panel-lines in kits produced is basic economics for the manufacturer. 

It is far cheaper to engrave lines in the metal mold production cavity ( which makes the 'raised - lines' in the plastic copy model fuselage etc)

than the far more expensive production processes of casting raised lines in the metal mold production cavity ( making recessed lines in the plastic copy!)..

....very simple guys!<_<

Pip

Edited by Piprm
extra wording

1 hour ago, Piprm said:

Unbelievable...

what non-sense.

No aircraft in real life is made with raised panel-lines!... its just plainly stupid.( maybe unless it is a local repair patch with sealer around it) 

In aircraft production as far back as the 1930's ...The panels are either butted up against each other -  riveted and/or sealed or overlapped riveted /sealed.

The reason ( as i understand) for raised panel-lines in kits produced is basic economics for the manufacturer. 

It is far cheaper to engrave lines in the metal mold production cavity ( which makes the 'raised - lines' in the plastic copy model fuselage etc)

than the far more expensive production processes of casting raised lines in the metal mold production cavity ( making recessed lines in the plastic copy!)..

....very simple guys!<_<

Pip

The issue with the Tamiya F-4s is not raised panel lines.  It’s raised panels, where entire panels are higher than the surrounding surface.  The panels lines themselves are recessed (engraved).

The other issue I can't figure out is how they got the size of the horizontal stabs wrong.  If you compare the Revell and Tamiya stabs you'll see that the Revell stabs from the RF-4 (non slatted stab) are about 1/8th inch larger.   Compare the the Revell F-4E stab to the Tamiya F-4J (both are slatted) and you'll see they are the same.  The C/D stab  in real life is the same size as an E, the only difference is the E/J stabs had the leading edge modified with slats.  I've measured a real unslatted stab and Revells is spot on while the Tamiya is too short.

Bruce

On 24 February 2020 at 8:43 PM, Bruce said:

The other issue I can't figure out is how they got the size of the horizontal stabs wrong.  If you compare the Revell and Tamiya stabs you'll see that the Revell stabs from the RF-4 (non slatted stab) are about 1/8th inch larger.   Compare the the Revell F-4E stab to the Tamiya F-4J (both are slatted) and you'll see they are the same.  The C/D stab  in real life is the same size as an E, the only difference is the E/J stabs had the leading edge modified with slats.  I've measured a real unslatted stab and Revells is spot on while the Tamiya is too short.

Bruce

I've seen the real ones up-close and the E/J stabs have the leading edge inverted slot added, so have greater chord.

Tony 

Yes I left out the word device or structure: F-4E/Js have the leading edge slot device added, so the stabs have greater chord (than unslotted ones).

You can therefore demodify the E/J stabilator to the C/D type if necessary (e.g. building an F-4F from the E kit)

Tony 

Nice pictures but no. Those airframes were used as static BDR airframes. Instructor makes holes with an ice pick. Battle damage repair crews practice fixing holes with roundhead riveted metal bandaids.

The Tamiya are real panels on airworthy jets that, for reasons unknown, were depicted as raised. 

The prevailing theory is that the toolmaker who does tanks handled the F-4 surface detail, and designed the jetpipes in 1/35th.

Tony 

On 27 February 2020 at 12:20 PM, RLWP said:

Norty!

And I bet you know those are ex battle damage fuselages

Richard

I was going to post pictures of them... :whistle:

I realise he was kidding but there are some who might interpret it literally, and might get some Archers roundhead fasteners to dress up their kit! 

I recall MiG-killer #699 resplendent in its Miss Piggy Oregon ANG livery, then being messed about with as a BDR airframe at Upper Heyford. Someone at Midland got the 4" brushes out and it looks a bit less battered than it did in 1992! 

Tony