LEM/Ruporator 32019: 1/32 La-9

LSP_Kevin

Ray, 

Has the CD any picture of a North Korean one with a multi colour camouflage? 

I have been interested for quote some time in such planes used during the Korean war but as far as I know, the type 9 was normally painted in a single color whereas the later type 11 used many different camouflages. Has the CD some info about the schemes? 

Thanks 

Thierry 

On 2/15/2020 at 11:03 PM, thierry laurent said:

Ray, 

Has the CD any picture of a North Korean one with a multi colour camouflage? 

I have been interested for quote some time in such planes used during the Korean war but as far as I know, the type 9 was normally painted in a single color whereas the later type 11 used many different camouflages. Has the CD some info about the schemes? 

Thanks 

Thierry 

Like I thought, the CD has mostly pics of restored warbirds with just a few period shots, plus the walk-arounds and a few cockpit pics. I trolled the net a bit and the only camo NK La-9 I found was from a skin website for a flight sim:

9738-lavochkin-la-9-fighterfsxzip-108-thumbnail.jpg.add3a6dfa3e8ed4e82bcb823f5086fb7.jpg

Which appears to be based on a profile that appears on the Wings Palette site:

82_2.jpg.dfc694288969f5c2f99d39b0274752e1.jpg

I have no idea of the accuracy, though I suppose the winter camo could be rationalized...Everything else seems to be overall green or grey. Hope that helps.

I bought this kit off EBay about a month or so ago. It is no where near as nice as a Silver Wings or Lukgraph kit but not too bad either. I had to ask the owner to send me a link to the instructions (a set of photos) so that I could download them, as I have not used CDs in many a year and my MacBook does not have a cb bay, and I guess not many laptops do now ( so he needs to toss the CD). It is a more basic resin kit when compared to the likes of Silver Wings, Lukgraph, Hph etc. However judging by the pictures of the completed model it does look to build into a nice model. I’m not too sure about the butt joints for the wings and this is the first time that I have come across it (I think) on a resin kit. All in not a bad kit.

Well, owning both the Armada and the Aviacollectzia books about the La-9/11 I must confess there are no photos of multicolor camouflaged La's. The common variants are soviet grey allaround. Erly La-9s show a light grey underside with darker uppersides. Only exception from the "paint it grey" rule ar the wintertime ferryflights from the factory to the VVS airfields: Red colour overall for easy recognition in case of emergency landing elsewhere. Guess that was simply the primer coat, with the standard grey beeing applied after arrival at the VVS airfields.

If you want some more color go for a chinese La - they have red and white striped rudders.

Regards

- dutik