Eduard 1:48 Bf109 F-4

matto21

Hi all, 

I've been away from this part of the hobby for a couple of years now. While I have been doing some other types of modelling, I've not picked up an aircraft model for over two years. 

Last weekend I got the urge to do something different. I'd started building this kit a couple of years back, but it got shelved and had been gathering dust ever since. 

I'd got as far as assembling the cockpit and basecoating it, so going in and giving it a few highlights, weathering and some detail painting seemed as good a place as any to get started. 

Screenshot_20200210_092928

Screenshot_20200210_092839

Buoyed by this relative success, I pushed ahead and got the airframe assembled. I have to admit that I'm not a fan of kits where there are no alignment pips. It just makes things unnecessarily difficult in my opinion. After a lot of faffing, I got everything together. 

IMG_20200212_223544_945

IMG_20200212_223544_955

Tonight I've managed to get the propellor painted and weathered.

IMG_20200214_223450

And a cruel close-up... 

Screenshot_20200214_223904

Thanks for looking 

Matt 

Thanks for the comment! 

Slow night tonight, managed to get the spinner painted, although I'm not totally happy with the finish. I used LifeColor Incinerated White and, well, it's okay. 

IMG_20200215_231630

IMG_20200215_232122

I also painted the rudder using a mix of Mr Hobby H33 Russet and Tamiya XF-7 Flat Red. I then added white to the mix and subtly mottled it. After doing this, I found it was slightly too pink, so I added a drop of H33 to the gloss varnish which evened out the colour again. 

IMG_20200215_232057

Thanks for looking 

Matt 

While Dennis does his best to blow my house down, I've made a small amount of progress tonight. First up, I got a wash on the spinner, to highlight the recessed detail. 

IMG_20200216_231658

I also painted the undercarriage legs and gave them an initial weathering. I used a 50/50 mix of Xtracrylic RLM 02 and Tamiya XF-22 for the colour. 

IMG_20200216_231747

In hindsight, after a wash, the colour is a bit dark to my eye. 

I also managed to get some undercoat on the seams to check them - so far so good so hopefully I can start painting the airframe soon. 

Matt 

4 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Some nice work!  I've been finding my 02 too dark as well when I compare it to the 02 used on restored aircraft.  Like your 02, I'm thinking that a wash takes 02 from a gray-green to khaki.

Yes! Ironically the reason I chose to mix the two colours was because I felt the Xtracrylic RLM 02 was much too light. In hindsight, I should probably have left it. I've ordered the Ammo version for future builds, so it'll be interesting to compare the two. 

25 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

The "burgundy" color on the rudder looks great to my eye.  I am a big fan of life color paints, though I mostly use them for brush painting.  I think they are the most brushable paints I have found so far.

Keep up the good work!

Several years ago I bought some LifeColor paints and could not get on with them at all. 

More recently I was bought one of their paint sets and now I'm a convert. You're right too, they do brush really well. If I didn't have so much paint from other manufacturers,, I'd probably use them more! 

Matt 

I've revisited my RLM 02 pieces tonight, and oversprayed them with the straight Xtracrylic colour. Probably was the best option from the start in hindsight. 

IMG_20200217_220015

I've also taken some time to prepare the wheels. Both have a slight seam line running around the circumference which some careful sanding has removed. 

IMG_20200217_220949

That's about all I can manage tonight due to tiredness! 

Matt 

Edited by matto21
Predictive text!

After a few slow days in terms of progress, I'm finally at the point of being able to get some painting done. 

IMG_20200223_224224_052

I'll be using Mr Hobby acrylics for the main colours. 

For the record, after my comments about the RLM02 colours above, I did get hold of Ammo's version and it's significantly darker than both Mr Hobby and Xtracrylic. 

Matt