Lukgraph DH 89 Rapide

mozart

35 minutes ago, Iain said:

Brilliant stuff Max - thanks for sharing!

Iain

11 minutes ago, kkarlsen said:

Thank you Max, they'i come in handy!

Kent

That's what we're here for chaps, a sharing community of modellers. :)  I started making an Isracast DH89A in 1/48th scale some years ago so started collecting a lot of information then and for my Bomber Command research, so I'm glad at last that I can start to use it for a model in our scale.  I just need a Proctor now.....please! 

Edited by mozart

6 hours ago, Chek said:

For anyone not aware, if you right click Max's images on the LSP page and click 'open image in new tab' (in Windows Chrome at least) a full 3K res version can be saved.

Alot of images can be enlarged that way, not just here on LSP.

On 2/15/2020 at 3:52 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

Anyone know what this is? This is G-AHKV if tye British Automobile Association. It appears to possibly be the AA logo??

n0JifD.jpg

On 2/15/2020 at 4:26 PM, Iain said:

OK - these suggest period car badge as well:

Not exactly, I knew I had seen something about it somewhere. From 'DeHavilland Moths In Detail; Herridge & Sons; 2010; page 105:

The Automobile Association established its Aviation Division at Heston in 1928, providing route maps for private aircraft touring at home and overseas. AA scouts also rendered assistance at aviation meetings. Members of the AA's Aviation Department were supplied with metal badges carrying serial numbers in the same way as motorists were, except that the badge was flat rather than dished

So, it is similar to the car badge, only it is an aeroplane badge

Thought you'd like to know...

Richard

Hi Richard,

Indeed - hence the flat badge on the earlier Moth.

However - they either changed the aviation one to the dished out type - or these are exactly the same ones on the Dragon Rapide as the car ones IMHO.

And I can't see them going to the trouble of paying for tooling for another design in the 1950's when they would have had ready access to thousands of car badges - and these look to be the same size as the car ones...

For the purpose of recreating one for a 1:32 model - I reckon just shrink a standard AA badge of the period!  ;)

Iain

It would depend how many of the flat ones were made in the first place, and how many people took up membership of the Aviation Division. Could be they still had old stock when the scheme finished

I have no evidence to support that, of course :P

Richard