Lukgraph DH 89 Rapide

mozart

23 minutes ago, quang said:

I agree with Thierry. They needed a table at least to put the Morse transmitter on. ...And you’ll also have to build the headphones from scratch.:rolleyes:

The instructor had no need of a morse transmitter Quang, he was merely monitoring the students’ progress. Pencil and paper is all that’s needed plus a clipboard! My students are going to be standing outside the plane, their headphones are in their bags! 

Thanks Thierry, got it this time and agreed with the scheme apart from possibly the underwing numbers, these were probably superseded by the large fuselage numbers.

Edited by mozart

11 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

After a second thought, I think the serial numbers were probably under the wings as they were painted before arriving in the unit where the individual plane number was added. 

Yes I’m inclined to add them on mine too Thierry, it was very much “the order of the day” and there’s no reason not to. 

23 hours ago, mozart said:

The Barracuda Tx/Rx sets have arrived, look pretty good I think.  

9ek45C.jpg

What's your take on the colours of this Dominie?  I assume Dark Earth and Dark Green uppers and Trainer Yellow lowers but what about the distribution of colours on the engine nacelles, sides and fronts?  I see a line front the wing leading edge along the nacelle side separating upper and lower colours, but the front cowling?  Yellow?

OT but looking at the label on the Barracuda package,  it stated that they also include a Gee indicator unit.   I ordered this set a while ago and it didn't have the Gee unit.  Did you get one with yours?  I tried emailing Barracuda but got no response.

A couple of images from the Air-Britain book that are pertinent.  I'd forgotten there were colour profiles in the book, so here's a Yatesbury Dominie, it suggests that the underside colour was a light grey (medium sea grey?) and not trainer yellow, which I must admit was my first instinct, and a good pic of the AA Rapide clearly showing the nose badge as being a chrome affair and not just painted:

1sMTar.jpg

wW56c8.jpg

The slightly blunted "bulldog" nose is caused by the curve of the page! :)

Edited by mozart

2 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

For some mysterious reason, the US plane had the round antenna that must be present on the British plane...! At least, the visible tail wheel structure has been correctly depicted.

Yep, I noticed that straight away Thierry, the Yatesbury Dominie definitely needs that circular aerial.  Never trust profiles! 

Edited by mozart