Lukgraph DH 89 Rapide

mozart

14 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

For the ones willing to find a little bit of documentation, someone is currently selling on ebay.co.uk two issues of the long OOP Ian Allan booklet. Not cheap but this is globally what I paid for mine some months ago.

Not cheap but ok, I think I paid £9.00 or so for mine several years ago. Or somebody in the US has one for sale for around $120, now that is taking the Michael! 

None in any of the books I have Zac, and they include the two seminal Air-Britain publications.  It might be worth an email to the AA, they surely must have something in their archives, plans or photographs?!

On 6/28/2020 at 1:49 PM, mozart said:

On the balance of firm evidence Thierry my layout will be all the radio equipment at the front of the plane as discussed and seats only aft of that.  Six seats including the instructor's.  Sorted!! :coolio:

2rzV5k.jpg

I agree with the radio configuration. They were so bulky I seriously doubt each trainee had its own system. By the way, do not forget the table between the instructor seat and the receiver rack. What are you considering for the rear of the cabin? Based on the presence of the table and the external picture of the left side, I'm wondering if this does not mean all the starboard seats were further back? 

7 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I agree with the radio configuration. They were so bulky I seriously doubt each trainee had its own system. By the way, do not forget the table between the instructor seat and the receiver rack. What are you considering for the rear of the cabin? Based on the presence of the table and the external picture of the left side, I'm wondering if this does not mean all the starboard seats were further back? 

The Barracuda Tx/Rx sets have arrived, look pretty good I think.  

9ek45C.jpg

I'll have to think about making racks for them to sit and add a few extra "black boxes" and cabling when I start the build, almost certainly in the Trainer GB now.

Thierry, I'm not sure that I'm seeing a table in front of the instructor in any of the pictures in this thread.  I can see another box of electronics below the side-mounted Rx in the one where I've over-printed their names but no desk.  I don't plan moving any of the seats, their position will fit the bill for me.  Really looking forward to starting the kit, but another question!!

KFDXQH.jpg

What's your take on the colours of this Dominie?  I assume Dark Earth and Dark Green uppers and Trainer Yellow lowers but what about the distribution of colours on the engine nacelles, sides and fronts?  I see a line front the wing leading edge along the nacelle side separating upper and lower colours, but the front cowling?  Yellow?

Edited by mozart

Hi Max,

Happy you like the Barracuda radios. They're indeed very nice. This cabling drawing may be useful if you do not have it:

niTKZp6.jpg

If you look closely at your picture, you can see what looks to me like the corner of a small table:

mw7Mfyr.jpg

Or is it a box but, in that case, this does not leave much room for the legs of the seated guy...? In any case, there is something between the radio rack and the seat, for sure.

With regard to the color scheme, I intended to comply with this one (the camo colors were simply inverted: A and B schemes I guess?). It also complies with the lighter color scheme on the lower wing.

DeHavilland_DH89B-Dominie-RAF-1.jpg

This is the camo of the one preserved in Netherlands.

Hth

Thierry

The picture of the preserved Dominie isn't working for me Thierry, but thanks for the diagram showing connections to and between the Rx/Tx, very useful!  

I'm reading that table/ledge as the top surface of a box in front of the Rx.......who knows?

An early scheme:

Bk5FWO.jpg

and:

srZCRp.jpg

but:

cb9ZKB.jpg

4lNZoC.jpg

xNJ5Un.jpg

QSolFQ.jpg

So it seems underside of wings yellow, (probably without ident letters) and fuselage and tailplanes but everything else camo.  Simple! 

Edited by mozart

4 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

My kit is in the post.  Two weeks is a long time for my inner child to wait. Thanks for all the great info gentlemen. 

Rick

Patience is a virtue Rick.......damned hard at times though!! :unsure: