Lukgraph DH 89 Rapide

mozart

On 6/15/2020 at 10:03 PM, thierry laurent said:

Besides the old but good Ian Allan booklet and the Air Britain compendium, is there any good book covering the military use of the Dragon Rapide?

Besides the two above-mentioned books I have following references but I'm sure there must be more around. None of them are solely about the military use, but most contain some info.

-The de Havilland Rapide Profile Publications number 114 date unknown

-1/48 3-view (and more) scale plan drawn by G.A.G. COX, reprinted from Aeromodeller, August 1957. Reference 2690

-Scale Models October 1980

-L'encyclopédie illustrée de l'aviation Volume XVI number 205, Editions Atlas 1986 (originally published by Orbis Publishing Ltd. in Great-Britain)

-Scale Aircraft Modelling Volume 14 number 3 December 1991

-Flypast July 1991

-Aeroplane Monthly April 2004

Thanks David, you’ve been collecting DH89 refs too then? Do any of yours give any detail of the layout of the Dominies used in radio training schools; numbers of seats retained, position of radio sets etc.?

44 minutes ago, mozart said:

Thanks David, you’ve been collecting DH89 refs too then? Do any of yours give any detail of the layout of the Dominies used in radio training schools; numbers of seats retained, position of radio sets etc.?

What's the scheduled start date for your build Max? You know, impatience can ruin one's day.......

Lothar

54 minutes ago, mozart said:

It's one of my favorite planes since long. I'm afraid the closest I have to your question is in the Ian Allan booklet on pages 12-13 and 26, so no big help. I'll keep it in mind though.

On 6/15/2020 at 12:03 PM, cosmosman said:

Looks good. Only thing I noticed was the front of the undercarriage fairing looks flat at the front instead of curved.

I had the same impression. Luckily this is easy to mend with some filler and sanding.

On top of the nacelles some detail is also missing. Due to the break-up of the parts those are impossible to add by Lukgraph, so no critic. Details concerned are two filler caps, one surely for fuel, the other for fuel or oil and a level gauge for the fuel tank.

The AA plane G-AHKV was the prototype for the DH89A Mk 6 conversion. It had slightly different propellers, a modified engine air intake and most noticable on the G-AHKV a radome on top of the cockpit. Electric equipment was also improved and mounted on the backside of the pilot's bulkhead.

And now I hope to succeed in adding some images (not my credit) to illustrate my writing and maybe help others with this superb model.

0WQwSkW.jpg

PTsrw0T.jpg

uaNmfCT.jpg

tePesKR.jpg

EMzX68a.jpg

L1kVvj8.jpg

https://imgur.com/0WQwSkW

4 hours ago, mozart said:

This is typically why I asked regarding other books! I'm also interested in such planes. However, in spite of all my research efforts, I did not find any interior picture. The one you published is the sole one I have ever seen. 

4 hours ago, David V said:

Besides the two above-mentioned books I have following references but I'm sure there must be more around. None of them are solely about the military use, but most contain some info.

-The de Havilland Rapide Profile Publications number 114 date unknown

-1/48 3-view (and more) scale plan drawn by G.A.G. COX, reprinted from Aeromodeller, August 1957. Reference 2690

-Scale Models October 1980

-L'encyclopédie illustrée de l'aviation Volume XVI number 205, Editions Atlas 1986 (originally published by Orbis Publishing Ltd. in Great-Britain)

-Scale Aircraft Modelling Volume 14 number 3 December 1991

-Flypast July 1991

-Aeroplane Monthly April 2004

Thanks for the references. I should at least have the Scale Models and Atlas edition booklets and I just ordered the others! 

I looked on the RAF Yatesbury website hoping for a bit more info and maybe pictures but not a lot of interest there I’m afraid, nor in the IWM collection. I doubt there’s much at the National Archives in what’s available digitised but I’ll look later.

Lothar, my build isn’t scheduled at all yet, I have several exciting kits in the pipeline as you well know but it “could” figure in the Training GB, ah no, there’s the Silver Wings Tiger Moth ...... oh and a Hunter T7 conversion that some kind gentleman sent me!! Decisions, decisions after the Lightning is finished! 

13 hours ago, mozart said:

I looked on the RAF Yatesbury website hoping for a bit more info and maybe pictures but not a lot of interest there I’m afraid, nor in the IWM collection. I doubt there’s much at the National Archives in what’s available digitised but I’ll look later.

Lothar, my build isn’t scheduled at all yet, I have several exciting kits in the pipeline as you well know but it “could” figure in the Training GB, ah no, there’s the Silver Wings Tiger Moth ...... oh and a Hunter T7 conversion that some kind gentleman sent me!! Decisions, decisions after the Lightning is finished! 

Oh so true Max, and then there's some nice weather with other things to enjoy.......

This is one interesting (to me! :coolio:) picture that was on the RAF Yatesbury site, trainee w/ops, all togged up in their Sidcot-type suits:

OLqzKM.png

I've since found out a bit more about this picture, one of the students is Walter (Wally) Layne, the chap on the right is an instructor.  This was in 1940, so 4 students, 1 instructor.

Edited by mozart

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

FYI, if he does not have the boots, he has a similar suit:

https://retrokitonline.net/product/wwi-allied-airman-with-sidcot-suit

This is one of the rare figures that may be used for pre-war planes. Personally, I will add goggles.

Love that figure Thierry, thanks for the link!  I've ordered 2 but I'll be changing the head on both and probably the arms on one!

Edited by mozart

40 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

There's a Bader figure wearing similar, you can buy it here.

Thanks Andy, I already have the Bader one, intended for my Silver Wings Bulldog but I paid a fortune for it to be shipped from Australia because it wasn't then available in the UK - the eBay seller was the chap I was in communication with but he's obviously managed to get more stock.  Might just get another one though! :rolleyes:

I’ve just checked my Paypal a/c and found that it was marginally cheaper to get it from Oz than it is now from Darlington! 

Edited by mozart