Lukgraph DH 89 Rapide

mozart

19 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Well the real thing was one of these...

a1959cae-5356-11e6-810b-8cb43abd3ec3.jpg

That's a car badge with a domed centre. The aeroplane ones were flat

Didn't we discuss this earlier in this thread?

Richard

On 2/17/2020 at 10:51 PM, RLWP said:

Not exactly, I knew I had seen something about it somewhere. From 'DeHavilland Moths In Detail; Herridge & Sons; 2010; page 105:

The Automobile Association established its Aviation Division at Heston in 1928, providing route maps for private aircraft touring at home and overseas. AA scouts also rendered assistance at aviation meetings. Members of the AA's Aviation Department were supplied with metal badges carrying serial numbers in the same way as motorists were, except that the badge was flat rather than dished

On 2/17/2020 at 10:51 PM, RLWP said:

So, it is similar to the car badge, only it is an aeroplane badge

Thought you'd like to know...

Richard

Thought so

Richard

Edited by RLWP

7 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

The difference in 1/32 scale is about 0.00000001 mm :)

Indeed - so you are safe no matter what you do

I do like that AA scheme

If you are into Dr Who/Torchwood, this is a nice fictional scheme:

latest?cb=20091221085236

G-AIDL as Sky Gypsy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_Time_(Torchwood)

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Looking at all the liveries the DH89 carried, I find it interesting how much it changes the appearance of the aeroplane. Many of them look like completely different aeroplanes, the colours emphasising or concealing different parts.

Richard

available for preorder

price 139€ + shipping costs which is I think great price for such a big kit :speak_cool:

I just preordered one

jan

https://sk-sk.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2487617678218957&set=a.1464998240480911&type=3&theater

https://lukgraph.pl/en_GB/p/DH-89-Dragon-Rapide-/140

Edited by Jan_G

I thought it may have been to allow for an astro dome to be fitted, given that the Dominie was commissioned as a navigation and radio trainer, but looking through Air-Britain’s “The de Havilland Dragon/Rapide Family” I see pictures of the DH84, 86 and 89 with those discs. They are certainly solid whatever their function or purpose. 

On 4/4/2020 at 8:54 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

If anyone is potentially interested in a decal for the AA scheme shown above for the Lukgraph kit, could you let me know by replying here please?  The only way I can do it is to silkscreen print the yellow markings for the upper wings, and laser print the rest of the black stuff  

The real airplane had a shiny metal AA badge in the stripe at the nose (not shown above).  I've been thinking about how that could be done... If I were to make the badge a "punch out" in the black (ie: clear), and you very carefully put down a little disk of shiny Bare Metal Foil in exactly the right spot, it would probably be as close to the real thing as it's possible to get.

It would look something like this:

Ibq6FE.png

Let me know!

Tks

J

Yes please, I'd be in two for sets of AA decals.

I registered on this forum so I could place my interest in these decals!

The engine nacelles would have to be altered an a faired  DF loop would need to be added to represent the AA machine, right?

Also, I have not seen an image of the internal fit out for the AA aircraft, anyone got any they are willing to share?

Zac.

On 4/24/2020 at 6:10 PM, Iain said:

From what I've seen it doesn't appear on all airframes - but where you can see it it's solid.

No idea what it's for...

Iain

Its an escape hatch of sorts, its a thinly faired over part of the fuselage where the occupants could punch out through the fabric if the need arose.  Most Rapides have one, some two.

Zac.

Edited by Zac_Zolar