Sign in to follow this  
Palm-tree

Spitfire underwing wing trestle markings

Please can anyone tell me which way round the wing trestle markings would normally appear on the underside of the wings?

I am seeing different orientations shown by different kit manufacturers and wonder what is correct? Some can be read from only one direction ie left wing tip looking to right wing tip, others the text is inverted from one side of the underwing roundel to the other side so they can be read easily wherever a maintainer/fitter looks from when working underneath the wing.

I don’t trust modern existing spitfire restorations as which is correct?.....variations are seen.

thanks for any help on this topic,

P-T

Jennings and LSP-Ron,

thanks for the info, don’t know why I didn’t think to look at the IWM example?

I wondered if there were any Air Ministry directives, which explained the spec or not?

Anybody have a WW2 image of the trestle markings for a Mk IX please?

tia

P-T

There are always specs.  Whether they’re always followed is another matter entirely.  If you have a big stencil like that, and you’re crawling around underneath an airplane to apply it, and you put it on the wrong way around, are you going to then go back and fix it (if anyone even notices)? Highly doubtful.  If there’s a way to screw something up, somebody will find a way to do it.  I’ve seen ejection seat warning triangles applied upside down on an ANG F-4C...  And that’s glaringly obvious to even a casual observer.  The trestle markings are hard to see even if you’re standing right next to the airplane.

I have built three spitfires, two in 1/32, the Brits liked their stencils and I just try to get them on the plane.  The underside ones I just put them on close to where the instructions call out.  It had not occurred to me that those treble markings should go on in a particular orientation and by the time I get to that stage, I typically just want to get them done as they are not the most interesting or visible marking.

19 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I have built three spitfires, two in 1/32, the Brits liked their stencils and I just try to get them on the plane.  The underside ones I just put them on close to where the instructions call out.  It had not occurred to me that those treble markings should go on in a particular orientation and by the time I get to that stage, I typically just want to get them done as they are not the most interesting or visible marking.

Hee Hee, ever seen the number of stencils on an F-4 Phantom?