Unique opportunity 1/32 Andover C1

Anthony in NZ

Some quick thoughts:

• Would be good to have hollow 'tubes' printed into in the inner/outer wings to reasonably near the tips - so that we can insert some brass rod/tube to keep everything straight
  • Same for tailplane
  • Could the prop blades be printed separately from the spinners in this scale? Would make things a lot easier...

Actually getting quite excited about the possibilities with this as a project...

Iain

This should be technically possible IF the overhang is not overly large (with the large overhang the freshly 'printed' hot plastic will sag dut to gravity leading to surface flaws which we would not want. Alternatively - and this happens in real-life applications - an internal 'honycomb'  structure should be able to give the required stiffness while also reducing the weight, meaning any supports are less needed.

Alternatively it could be possible to 'cut' the wing lengthwise along where the 'tube' would be located - although I think having a rectangular hollow might be more feasible.

re the propblades I think that will make a world of difference in the proposed 1/32 scale. - easy enough to do in the cad design me thinks.

3 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi Anthony, 

In your mail, can you also mention that someone is interested in a 1/32 YS-11EB?

Thanks in advance! 

Thierry 

Hi Thierry, yes mate, I will email tonight when I get home from work (well after I have had dinner!) So in about 12 hours time the final number.  I will also ask for you about the YS-11EB

Ian, email sent!

• 2 weeks later...

I went down last Saturday to the RNZAF Museum (after getting clearance to see the Andover) and take some detail photo's for this new large model  the 4 of us are getting (are we insane???). 

Mr Toshihiko Shimizu was very appreciative and has been able to add extra detail and 'tweak' the back end shapes.  

He is really going to a lot of effort to get the shapes/details very accurate.

Here are some of his latest renders...
 87168476_1215634085299587_65087986066511

87788804_1218693978326931_77595335547231

87666110_1218694038326925_59809954744196

87266015_1216988935164102_16794944894853

Will also include standard and 'kneeling' options now
87561836_1218793418316987_60719101825001

Cheers Anthony

The order book won’t close really, as the kits are print on demand and he’s still adding final details to the design. Those of us who have committed have not been asked to Andover the money yet (:coolio:) so if you’re interested, definitely let Anthony know and maybe we can all save a few more dollars!

7 hours ago, Stevepd said:

Is the order book closed?

Hey Steve

As Mike says the order book is not closed as such.  Drop me a PM if you definitely want to place an order.  I understand though when the Andover family is complete and other projects are being developed/printed after this then the book will be closed.

Cheers Anthony

Hi gang,

I've uploaded some more material to my Google Drive folders - including a 100 page 1965 HS Technical document - and a cross section through the kneeling main undercarriage.

RAF Museum Cosford got back to me re. photos - outside fine - but interior only if they open it up on the open cockpits day later this year.

Will certainly take what photos I can at the model show at the beginning of April.

Looking at his other prints he states that he prints using ABS - but I know he does use HIPS too - can we ask if he can print these all HIPS?

It will make and modification/detailing easier IMHO - and, personally, I'm happy if it costs a little extra.

3D Model looks great - and I know he's used the correct dims for the HS-780, with the engines further out on the wing than the 748...

I'm now looking for drawings/photos of the vortex generators on the top of the tailplane...

Getting really excited about getting my hands on one - thanks for arranging this and being the catalyst Anthony! 

Iain

Thanks Ian!

I will take a look after work tonight.  Thanks for that.  Can I upload my photo's from last weekend to it?  

Iain feel free to email about your questions, that's what our group email is about with him.

I sure cant wait....I just haven't sorted my $$ out yet LOL

Cheers

Anthony

Photos - yes - please do if you're happy to share!  :thumbsup:

I do this on most projects: collect anything I can find that's relevant and bung it on Google Drive for easy reference as and when needed. Makes sense to have a group resource for the 'Andover Five' (which I get the impression we now are) - and Toshihiko if he needs to refer to anything .

I'll email tomorrow to mention the undercarriage drawing - and ask about HIPS - didn't want to bombard him with things and having you as primary contact makes things easier for him.

I can hear those RR Darts right now - a very distinctive (and piercing) sound!  :)

Iain

1 hour ago, Iain said:

I'm now looking for drawings/photos of the vortex generators on the top of the tailplane...

Iain

Hey Iain,

The RNZAF Museum has a pretty good pic of the Andover tailplanes at 

https://fotoweb.airforcemuseum.co.nz/fotoweb/archives/5009-Whenuapai/Collection/WhG624e-78_1.jpg.info#?c=%2Ffotoweb%2Farchives%2F5009-Whenuapai%2F  - You can download the full size photo there. It's not a prefect shot but I can see it  being a very helpful one nonetheless. 

WhG624e-78_1.t5e56beeb.m800.xq2NcjU3X.jp