Pukin' Dogs Blues

jenshb

No, not a new song title, but trying to determine what shade of blue was used on the VF-143 F-14As in the light gull gray over white era.  I have the Furball Decals, and they specify Insignia Blue for the tops of the tailfins (that must be painted), but that will not match the blue trim of the tailfins and the three stripes on the forward fuselage.  Looking at photos on the web, the blue is definitely lighter than the dark blue of the insignia.  The hue varies with the photos too - in one photo it definitely has a hint of red in it which I can find no FS match for.  In others it looks less rich, so I am thinking something along the lines of FS 15050 Blue Angels blue as that would also be available through the Navy supply chain...

Jens

I asked my neighbor who is a retired VF-143 F-14 driver about this.  He said, "Hunh?  Blue? I don't know.  Maybe."  My point is he was there, saw and flew these airplanes every day for years and couldn't tell me for certain if the airplanes he flew were trimmed in blue, much less what shade.  Naval Aviation can be pretty flexible in some ways and many of the sources and experts out there these days have no first hand experience with the subject at hand.  Odds are, whatever shade of blue you choose will be close enough for government work.  Just sayin'......

Cheers

The Old Bald Guy

I see Paul Boyer has replied to my post on the same theme at ARC, and he is suggesting FS 15123 - Mr.Color C65 Bright Blue.  That is what the new Academy kit is suggesting.  Looking at my FS 595 fan deck and the photos I found on line, that seems to capture the contrast and appearance, and going with Jennings' observation that blues look darker in photos than real life,  I think that will look just about right.

Jens

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a bottle of MrColor 65 Bright blue and sprayed a test sample.  It is too dark and bright for FS _5123.  I had a good look through my 50 shades of blue drawer and came up with two other candidates that looked near enough (though not labelled FS_5125).  I took the image on my mobile under LED lighting - not the best, but daylight was waning.

MrColor C65 is on the right, on the left is White Ensign Models WEMCC GW17 WW1 RN/USN #3 Blue, and in the middle is WEMCC ACUS 28 True Blue.  That looks like the best match, although in some angles it looks too dark.  Overall I think it will work on the early Pukin Dogs scheme.

I seem to be unable to insert the image into my post, so just providing the link for anyone who's interested. 

https://imgur.com/vR1eTb8

Or go to ARC Jet Modelling forum.