Favorite Books About the Harrier?

Rick Griewski

I just finished a book from the 1990s about the development of the Harrier so... now I want to build one after I finish my I-16. I will probably do the later variant offered be Trumpeter.  I need a couple of technical references to help with the build. There are a lot of books out there to sort through.  I plan to do a Marine Corps bird.   

thanks so much

Rick 

Just for starters there's this mighty fine build - if you right click on the photo another window opens with a clear image, what a wonderful company skumbuket aren't!

Similar problem with Pierro's build of an early USMC AV-8B.

Here's his Italian Navy AV-8B plus if that's the version you're going for.

The Airdoc book is probably the best reference for the later Harriers, I'm pretty sure Jake has mentioned there is a Modern Harrier Guide in the pipeline.

Ooh, my time to shine!  I've compiled almost all of the books about the Harrier.

The best book if you're looking for more modern ones is the compendium by Tim McClelland.  Covers the entire history of the bird.

For Harrier IIs, the Double Ugly book on the Harrier covers the Gr.7/9 in extreme detail.

Both SAM Publications volumes are good, each one focusing on either the land based or sea based Harriers.

Haynes did a volume about it which is rather basic, but fun in their style.

Tim Buttler has a great book on the prototypes, including brilliant color photos of each version.

The Harrier Inside and Out by Mark Attrill has some great info on the Gr.5 if that's an area of interest.

The last one I'd recommend is the Glenn Ashley AIRfile on the First Gen Harriers. Great for profiles and color info.

There is a Duke Hawkins book that's forthcoming, but hasn't released to stores yet.  But if it's anything like the other books, it will be top-notch.

3 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

There is a Duke Hawkins book that's forthcoming, but hasn't released to stores yet.  But if it's anything like the other books, it will be top-notch.

I looked for that too, but they don't have it up on the site yet, though it's sure to be killer.

While I really don't have all that much on the Harrier to begin with, of what I do have, one of the better books covering somewhat earlier Harriers, is this Aeroguide volume; other versions are also covered by this and this.

20 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I looked for that too, but they don't have it up on the site yet, though it's sure to be killer.

While I really don't have all that much on the Harrier to begin with, of what I do have, one of the better books covering somewhat earlier Harriers, is this Aeroguide volume; other versions are also covered by this and this.

Amazon says the Duke Hawkins one should be out this summer.

I have the Aeroguide books as well, they're okay. Along with the Detail & Scale one, plus the Aero Detail one, they're moderately okay books on the Harrier. Nothing truly groundbreaking, but good to have if you're a Harrier nut.

Matt 

3 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Amazon says the Duke Hawkins one should be out this summer.

I have the Aeroguide books as well, they're okay. Along with the Detail & Scale one, plus the Aero Detail one, they're moderately okay books on the Harrier. Nothing truly groundbreaking, but good to have if you're a Harrier nut.

Matt 

Good news about the HMH book, for sure. And I have to agree about the others; not really excellent, but certainly not bad.

The HMH Book (Duke Hawkins) will be released on March 27 ! It'll go to the printers in 3 weeks! And if some of you are interested, we're starting a new series in April on aircraft carriers, with the first one on the Juan Carlos I of the Spanish Navy. A lot of action photos and more details of the Harrier in that one. We hope to release two new books in this series each year! 

There's a shipment of books on its way to the US (at last!!) that should get distributed to shops before the summer. 

Nic

Edited by Nic C.D.

I'd love some pointers on decent reference material that would assist me with my plans to correct/convert the old Revell Harrier to GR.1 status. Everything seems to focus on the later Harriers, or simply not have enough technical detail to be useful.

Kev

7 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I'd love some pointers on decent reference material that would assist me with my plans to correct/convert the old Revell Harrier to GR.1 status. Everything seems to focus on the later Harriers, or simply not have enough technical detail to be useful.

Kev

Same goes for me.  Thinking very hard to get another kit and convert that one to the Kestrel.:blink:

Get the Tony Buttler book on the P.1127/Kestrel/Harrier.  Has tons of info, drawings, and pictures on the prototype versions.

https://www.amazon.com/Hawker-P-1127-Kestrel-Harrier-Developing/dp/0750965304/ref=sr_1_31?keywords=Tony+Buttler&qid=1581958924&sr=8-31

Matt