Pre-Paint Prep and Lacquer Thinner

Dainis

Just wondering...is it possible to clean your plastic with a lacquer thinner like Tamiya or Mr.Levelling Thinner in preparation for painting and would it be effective? Enquiring minds want to know..

Umm, it is safe for plastic if one uses something like Tamiya lacquer thinner or Mr Levelling thinner. I use Mr Surfacer (other than for priming) for repairs. Then I use Levelling Thinner or Tamiya lacquer thinner to wipe off the excess once dried. It certainly does not melt plastic. Hardware lacquer thinner is hotter and will damage plastic. That is why I only use it to clean my airbrushes. So, my question remains: Are the first two thinners effective plastic cleaners?

2 hours ago, D Bellis said:

Then "Tamiya lacquer thinner" can not be actual lacquer thinner. ;) 

D

Actually, it is lacquer thinner. Just not as "hot". Enamel thinners can be "hot" and less so. Time to end this thread me thinks. AlbertD is IMO right- a warm soapy water brush down with a IBA swipe. Maybe a tack cloth at the end-especially for NMF finishes. Was just curious if lacquer thinners could do a better job...If any has positive experience with it, let me know...otherwise Cheers!:beer4: