Help! Part needed for Airfix 1/24 FW-190 kit

chris2962

Parts from Lee are en route to me Chris, so I imagine I’ll have something to show by end of this coming week. He sent cockpit tub/firewall as well as engine back (and bearer struts I believe) and your missing part 38 so I’ll have the complete picture to ensure a good duplicate fit. So model on brother, help is on the way!

jimbo

Yes. Engine bearers, too. I didn’t know you found the instructions, so one step of those are in the package also. 

I’m really looking forward to how this turns out. I had considered getting a laser cutter of my own, so this will be a good demo of its capabilities. Parts with complex shapes can be built up of flat parts, so lots of possibilities. 

Ok Chris and group. Lee’s parts arrived today and I’ve set to drawing up a CAD file for laser cutting. In order to achieve the blind holes on both front and back I’ll cut it from two layers of acrylic (Perspex). Then sandwich them together, a little sanding and voila. Nearly there! Here’s a screen grab of the CAD:

2csYRu.jpg

I’ll cut a test shot tomorrow morning and post the results here. 

jimbo

Keep in mind that if you fit all the parts provided for the Airfix 1/24 Fw190 engine you'll end up with the propeller, spinner and engine fan protruding about 5mm from the cowling, which is visibly incorrect. If you want it to look right you'll have to file/sand away the equivalent from some of the mating surfaces of the engine parts or just throw away one of them since none of that will be visible with a closed cowling.

Ok fellows here is some progress. I’ve cut the file shown above and it looks pretty much spot on. I might tweak the hole diameters as the laser does cut a “kerf” or cut thickness of about .006”. But this is pretty good. In the photo below you see the new part layers; center-left is the main layer in .080” acrylic that needs hex fastener details added (I cut some various sizes of hexes as seen in the stock at top). At center-right is the backside .030” layer. These sandwich together and create a .110” thick part that is nearly the exact thickness of the original seen at bottom:

aQhHI0.jpg

And here’s a view of the back layer nested onto its mounting pins on the engine back part; you can see the mounting holes are a bit sloppy thus I will adjust the size of the holes:

9qk1hx.jpg

But altogether I’m very pleased. Chris you’ll be on your way in no time. I’ll recut these, assemble it up for you and it will be on its way. 

jimbo

On 2/19/2020 at 12:38 AM, Andrea Ferrari said:

Keep in mind that if you fit all the parts provided for the Airfix 1/24 Fw190 engine you'll end up with the propeller, spinner and engine fan protruding about 5mm from the cowling, which is visibly incorrect. If you want it to look right you'll have to file/sand away the equivalent from some of the mating surfaces of the engine parts or just throw away one of them since none of that will be visible with a closed cowling.

Good point Andrea;

In Supermarios build (referenced a few replies back) he points this out and if I recall he adjusted the engine bearer struts only to find out he removed too much and that he thought a bit of sanding alone would have been sufficient. He had to add material back to the struts to get it all to line up properly. Point being, Chris, lots of dry fitting will likely be in order for you!

jimbo

11 hours ago, chris2962 said:

how to up load an image

Hi Chris;

I recall you’ve already posted some images, but since I use ImageShack I’ll share the tutorial link here for you:

I’ve been a bit under the weather over the weekend so I’m sorry to not have any more updates about replicating this part, but I Will tomorrow for sure! Stay tuned;

jimbo

Edited by jimbo
spellcheck errors :-(