1/32 Twin LAU-33 launcher

ade rowlands

Does anyone make one? Does the Trumpeter F-8 Crusader have any? I think I recall seeing photos of F-8’s fitted with twin rocket tubes that may or may not be what I am after. Looking for a couple of sets for an Marines F-4 project where they had them fitted to the inside of the inboard sidewinder. Rails on some F-4’s. Thanks in advance. 

Yes the Trumpeter F-8 kits have two of them (sprue H) and with rocket parts (that look crap). To my knowledge, the Trumpeter F-8 kits are the only option for the LAU-33 in 1/32 unfortunately. Really wish an aftermarket company would make some. Black Ponies need them too....

Edited by ziggyfoos

Trumpeter Crusader only source I can remember. These look like a project for AMS. You could try scratch building, dimensions are published, really pretty simple. Not a scratch builder but I did manage to build a pair, year later I found the Trumpeter ones Iost. Size wise they were good to go. Rocket parts do look odd on the Trumpy parts.

Yeah, they do look like crap.

Don

Thanks guys. I am wanting an F-8 so that's sort of a bonus that they have them, unfortunate that they are turds. I swear I saw some others but memory might be playing tricks on me. I have a feeling it may have been on one of Paul Fishers kits or as an accessory set. Are the rockets fired from the 4 shot LAU-10 launcher the same? Assuming that the same type of warhead is fitted. If so I could hack the heads off the Trumpeter parts and stick some Eduard ones on from their Zuni 4 shot set.

Edited by ade rowlands

Launcher parts look presentable, the rocket tips look gross. I needed these for a Marine F-4J based in Da Nang or Chu Lai ( can't remember) .IIRC someone did a MAGAIR Phantom with great scratch built pods(4 shot I believe)

Ya the rockets have weird concave sections and strange rings around them:

10088245z7.jpg

Real deal with ATAP warheads and proximity fuses and point detonating fuses.

zuni1.jpgzuni3.jpg

Unfortunate that Eduard only provided the one option, the different combinations really change the look of the rockets.

zuni4.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos

37 minutes ago, ziggyfoos said:

Yes the zuni rockets themselves are the same whether they're in the LAU-33 or LAU-10. Fuzes/warheads could vary on the rockets regardless of what launcher they're loaded in.

Thanks. I'll be using your decals for VFMA-212 Lancers. I found a photo of one of their F-4J's loaded with 4 Mk.77 Napalm tanks on TERs on the inboard pylons with the LAU-33's on the shoulder sidewinder pylons. I think the image quote was something like the rockets are used to make sure the Napalm ignited. Centerline had a gun pod fitted so need to source one of those too. 

Here are a couple of pics of a Marine F-4 with the LAU-33:

Ralph Rinaldi Conducts and Electrical Check, 4 September 1968

Jan Polly Checks Ordnance, 5 September 1968

You can always try using some 1/35 scale 152mm ammo shells as the warheads in case you don't want to use up any aftermarket ones that come in sets.

Jari

Edited by Finn

Thanks guys. All stuff added to the relevant wish lists on different store sites(Why can’t 1 store have everything you want in stock). I was wanting an F-8 anyway so a little bonus that it comes with the Zuni launchers which solves a problem on my F-4J. 

Still wish some aftermarket company would do the asymmetrical F-8 Crusader dual missile racks that mount these Zuni’s and Sidewinders too. The ones in the Trumpeter kit are simply wrong. A lot of Crusader modelers would welcome these, in spite of the load out they are planning!

Bill M.

Edited by Bill M.