57th FIS Black Knights Phantoms decals

Tony T

Ray Horwell at Fantasy Printshop has just sent a courtesy copy of Euro Decal sheet ED-32124, so it's officially available...

https://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/shop/euro-decals-ed-32124-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4c-f-4e-phantoms-of-the-57th-fis-132/

The decal register on the A4-size screen-printed sheet is simply stunning.

There are sufficient markings to build all four featured Phantom interceptors: F-4C 64-685 and F-4E 66-334 in green, tan and light grey SEA camouflage, and F-4Es 66-300 & -370 in FS 16473 Aircraft Gray.

Curiously, the instructions appear to omit placement of the ADCom insignia on the right intake of F-4E 66-300 but the decal appears twice on the sheet so it's all there. Crew names are included for the Aircraft Gray subjects, to be applied over black painted lower canopy frames. 

I'm very pleased these have finally seen print as "proper decals, and many thanks to Ray Horwell

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
edit

Received mine today, and as you say...…….simply gorgeous!!

I also received the decals for the 57FIS 'William Tell' Exercise which is also well worth having.  

Looks like my built Phantom collection is going to get a lot bigger more quickly than planned now!!  

Happy days!  :clap2:

Scroll down to the bottom of post 18 where Dennis Robinson has posted a 1978 photo of F-4E 66-300 showing the right fuselage and the location of the ADCom insignia on the inlet...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235067502-phantom-fgr2-reinforcement-plates/

It's Phantom heaven! 

Caveat: on closer inspection, some of the insignia and tail serials on the new sheet are F-16- rather than F-4-sized. Jon Freeman overshrank my original Corel art. You may need to replace the tail serials. 

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
Whoops! Errors noticed

On 2/14/2020 at 2:56 PM, Tony T said:

There's a small addendum sheet in preparation by Fantasy with the correct 15" tall tail numbers and properly sized lances for the F-4E sheet.

HTH

Tony 

I've got a set Tony but will fantasy printshop send out the addendum sheet automatically? Or will I need to pay for it? 

Cheers. 

Dave. 

1 minute ago, daveoh said:

I've got a set Tony but will fantasy printshop send out the addendum sheet automatically? Or will I need to pay for it? 

Cheers. 

Dave. 

My last one (Oregon ANG Eagle) came free gratis!

I'd be very surprised if you were asked to pay for it. 

8 hours ago, daveoh said:

Cheers. 

Dave. 

Was in touch with Jon Freeman yesterday so there are proper 15" tail serials for all and correct length lances for F-4E 66-300, with corrections to its design. If only they'd sent me a paper proof none of these anomalies would have occurred, as my original designs were measured precisely and drawn on a 32x32 per sq ins grid. 

I'm guessing free, as it's a gorgeous sheet otherwise, but the AFI insignia and crew names remain undersize. 

To his credit, Roy Horwell at Fantasy has done an utterly fantastic print job — hats off to him for that. Just a pity it somehow got tripped-up by people who didn't properly understand the subject matter.

Tony 

• 1 month later...

I've started to apply my decals to my F4E but am I mistaken or are the national insignia's on the small size too? Especially the large wing insignia's. Also the badges seem small compared with photos of the real thing. 

And am I being picky. 

Your thoughts . 

Hi Dave, concerning the F-4E sheet Jon Freeman was apparently suffering from an F-15/F-16 size mindset and may have just shoehorned things in to make a pretty sheet. That's why he did the serials 12" instead of 15". 

The insignia I drew ten years ago or so were forensically accurate, based on measurements from photos. Too many cooks...  

The National insignia needs checking. Note that c.1978-1981 the wing insignia was the same size as the fuselage stars/bars. They went regulation bigger on the wings after aircraft were repainted during depot maintenance at CASA Getafe, Spain, c.1982+

If you're really stuck and want to do, say, 66-370 with the Air Forces Iceland insignia over the vari-ramp stripes, I might have a couple of the Draw Decal versions of those insignia knocking about. 

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
adding