cockpit paint job tips

raphaelmd

Hello,

I have a cockpit on the way but I need help for the paint job on it.

I started with the grey then with a brush I want for the instruments and MFD black, not easy stuff and not perfect but OK with it.

Now I need to go for the knobs and details, light grey or wiht.

What is the best way to end up with a nice finish. May be a small drop of paint on the know but for the instrument I can't find a good way to rise up the details.

I hope you understnd my questions and I look forward to read you advises

Cheers

Raphaël

Hello Raphael. You haven’t said which type of cockpit/plane you are detailing but obviously the most difficult are those painted black. I have an EE Lightning that I’ll be doing before too long so your question is making me think too. I’ll be starting with a mid-grey base coat then gradually adding lighter and darker areas where light will naturally fall but subtle variations all the time. To bring out the final details at the upper end of the cockpit where there will be most light I’ll probably dry brush the palest grey. 
There’s no easy answer I’m afraid, trial and error and an artistic eye perhaps? :) 

I am on the way with a F/A-18.

So the colours are not exactly the same as you but the method to use is more less the same.

Thank's for you tips. I will try and hopefully it will be a nice one

Or I am pushing myself too much and get crazy...

Hey Raphaël you have a great question there. Last year I did an F/A-18A from Desert Storm era. I found it helpful to search other people’s build threads for advice. I started with a black primer. I used Vallejo sky gray for the cockpit and light gray for the buttons and knobs. Then added color where needed based on cockpit pictures and did some weathering with a dark wash.

for the instruments you can try dry brushing them. For me i end up going back and forth between painting and drybrushing, painting and drybrushing. It’s just hard to keep paint off the dial faces and the IP so i go back over it. One thing I’ve learned is the brush has to be really dry. Maybe i can do 1 dial and then i wet the brush again and wipe it off good on a paper towel.

let me know if this was what you are looking for.

By the way you can see my F/A-18 in the wip link from my signature.

Hi and thank's for the advises.

Looking at the F/A-18 Desert storm. Well, not much to say:bow:

I will look at it more in details as I go forward on my Hornet but I am really really fare to be that good. I will post some pics in the work in progress place with my stuff and watch your comments.

See you soon

Raphaël

1 hour ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

From figure painting I have learned to rarely use pure black or white.  For black I go with a very dark grey as base, use lighter hues of the same shade for highlights and add black to my base paint for the shadows.  That way you an actually create depth even on a flat surface.

Good advice and so true. Whilst a student my art tutor used to tell us pure black doesn’t exist because light always modifies it, but black paint out of a pot is always too black for a model. 

If you are painting raised details on instruments, you will invariably get some white on the instrument face but you can use a tiny amount of color of the instrument face as a wash to "cut" a sharp demarcation between the raised detail and the face. Since most instrument faces are black the wash will usually cover in one application. 

Try these for your cockpit knobs. They look totally real! They're small resin knobs that can either be inserted through a drilled hole or snipped off and glued on.

https://anyz.io/

Scroll down and you will come across them. They've got beautiful cockpit console and panel decals too.

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

You can also use (2) mediums to erase your mistakes.

Use acrylic for the base color and oils for the panels and switches, if you make a goof the thinner for the oil should not effect the base color.

On 2/19/2020 at 4:22 AM, Ryan said:

One trick I use is to oil wash the surface first, this outlines the panels or instruments...then all you do is paint to the dark line.

48129666021_5b6469a402_h.jpgPup by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

48748463168_c26df0b5cf_h.jpgPup by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

48775347726_c11a4e0707_h.jpgPup by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

Ryan

a) that is a great tip, thank you!

b) nice looking dashboard!

Hello all,

Sorry, I was out of business for a few day due to sickness.

Great, I love all your inputs and I am looking forward to try which one will fit the best for me.

I really appreciate your help, and I have to say, I like this forum much better than some french one

Now I have to get my stuff back on the table and some work done. I will try to send some pics when i am getting close with my cockpit to get more tips from you.

Thank's again guys

Raphaël