First model in 20 years, 100% hand painted

MB13

Hi guys, so I'm back in the hobby after about 20 years, unbelievable how the hobby have changed in those years can't believe it! There is an air force base near where I live so I see F/A-18 almost every day so I decided to go with the Revell 1/48 F-18 to start it off. I did not want to wheter it too mutch as I think the ''too pronunced panel wash'' makes it kind of cartoonish and unrealistic, so went with another technique. I also don't own an airbrush so I did the best I could with what I saw on the net and here is the result, the ones I did back in the days were nowhere near this one but still not as perfect as I would have liked so I have some questions:

1- What technique do you use to hand brush your models (For those who still do it lol) Primer or no primer, thin the paint a lot or not that much, what brush to use.. etc

2- Do you have some tricks or anything else that helps for filling, sanding, wheathering etc..

3- I'm hopened to criticism so any tips or advice or anything on everything that could help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!!!

YTdKHeS.jpga5LUj6J.jpgnF0Dlmn.jpgo7pYlwI.jpgLjdi87a.jpgwxg2Mbb.jpgQKbhbhU.jpgRN2DVxN.jpga8UBqdl.jpgMGeI5x9.jpguyGvRBE.jpgKDjVXoJ.jpgaG1rduQ.jpgn0dK2yn.jpgWWuojiO.jpgoCZ2i3y.jpg

1 minute ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Welcome aboard!

:post1:

Very nice work for your first model in such a long time. Since it's a 1/48 scale model, I've taken the liberty of moving it here to Non-LSP Works, where it more appropriately belongs.

Kev

OK thanks Kev no problem I tough it would go in the ''ready for inspection'' forum since it is completed.. sorry ;)

Hi MB13, welcome to the forum.

I wish my hand-painted models looked that good (they also are remnants of a byegone era, about 25 yrs to be more precise).  Looks to me that you have got the basics of hand-painting large surfaces down to a T.

I do not paint my scale models by hand (now invested in a small airbrush and working my way through the learning curve) and am pleased with my progress so far - but still ways to go.  However, I do paint figures as another branch of this hobby, and those are always hand-painted.

I found that the best effect is alwyas achieved with very thin layers of paint, and to ge the dept of colour and hue I just build it up by many, many layers (I remember on one figure the  face consisted of about 20 layers of paint - acrylics - and still was able to maintain a high precision of detail.

Attached a picture of one of my busts to show what I managed to achieve (-still loads to learn on that one too). It is a version of what it would look like if Yoda went over to the dark side.

v4Tje6Nm.jpg

10 hours ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

Hi MB13, welcome to the forum.

I wish my hand-painted models looked that good (they also are remnants of a byegone era, about 25 yrs to be more precise).  Looks to me that you have got the basics of hand-painting large surfaces down to a T.

I do not paint my scale models by hand (now invested in a small airbrush and working my way through the learning curve) and am pleased with my progress so far - but still ways to go.  However, I do paint figures as another branch of this hobby, and those are always hand-painted.

I found that the best effect is alwyas achieved with very thin layers of paint, and to ge the dept of colour and hue I just build it up by many, many layers (I remember on one figure the  face consisted of about 20 layers of paint - acrylics - and still was able to maintain a high precision of detail.

Attached a picture of one of my busts to show what I managed to achieve (-still loads to learn on that one too). It is a version of what it would look like if Yoda went over to the dark side.

v4Tje6Nm.jpg

Thank you!! Man your figure is absolutely stunning!!! OK so a lot of really thin layers is the key I get it! loll

Is it hard to learn how to do a good job with an airbrush? Is it that much better than just hand brush it or is it just not worth it? I'm still not sure about buying one..

14 minutes ago, MB13 said:

Thank you!! Man your figure is absolutely stunning!!! OK so a lot of really thin layers is the key I get it! loll

Is it hard to learn how to do a good job with an airbrush? Is it that much better than just hand brush it or is it just not worth it? I'm still not sure about buying one..

Depends on what you want.  As far as I can see you do wonderful work with a brush, and if YOU are happy than who is to say otherwise?

I bought myself a beginners set airbrush (https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Airbrushes.html ) and am very please with it.  I got it for two reasons:  1) no desire to spend hours and hours on learning to paint the perfect large surface (so time saving more than anything) and 2) I want to learn how to mimmic weathering as I see on some of the fantastic builds up here so rather spend my learning curve on this. + I got tired of constantly buying rattle cans for priming and find I spray the surroundings more than the figure/model I want to prime - the airbrush gives me better control (which is also part of learning curve 2)

9 hours ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

Depends on what you want.  As far as I can see you do wonderful work with a brush, and if YOU are happy than who is to say otherwise?

I bought myself a beginners set airbrush (https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Airbrushes.html ) and am very please with it.  I got it for two reasons:  1) no desire to spend hours and hours on learning to paint the perfect large surface (so time saving more than anything) and 2) I want to learn how to mimmic weathering as I see on some of the fantastic builds up here so rather spend my learning curve on this. + I got tired of constantly buying rattle cans for priming and find I spray the surroundings more than the figure/model I want to prime - the airbrush gives me better control (which is also part of learning curve 2)

OK thanks for the info! I think I will stick to brushing my models I just love to do it that way! :D

4 hours ago, Collin said:

Excellent job MB13. 

Interested in your in-flight base. Assuming homemade with acrylic rods and wood base?  

Cheers

Collin

Thank you Collin!

Yes I made it and it is very simple! I made a sticker on Zazzle.com and bought it, then I put it on a pine wood base. Then I tinted it black. I bought 1/4 acrylic rods on Ebay, heated them to bend them, and insert them in the holes I did in the base and in the jet exhausts. I firmly glued some plastic tubes inside the model so the rods would go inside those and it would be solid enough to hold the jet. That`s it!