5 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Looking good, can't believe I've missed this up to now.

Oh, and welcome aboard.  May I ask where you are in Cambs?  I'm in St Neots.

Hey :)
Thanks very much :)

I'm halfway between Cambridge and Peterborough, in the Fens :) *waves*

• 3 weeks later...

Finally managed to get some time to do a little more on this, this weekend. 

Now I could finally make use of the Maketar Masks I got delivered a few weeks back before 'the lockdown'. Having looked around the forums I much prefer the look of painted roundels and other stencil work compared to decals, so I was glad to see those pop up on offer. Anyway, picture is worth a thousands words.

Started by getting the stencils placed, and then adding a mildly shaded (on reflection pointlessly shaded) base coat of white, the MRP colours seem dark so I wanted to give them the best chance to show nicely over the base camo colours.

WjTRd2K.png

Then the MRP-124 Marking Blue and MRP-123 Marking Red over-top of that (you can see the used masks in the background here for the large top roundels.
The colours are straight up gorgeous, really pleased with how they came out, I did very lightly touch them with a sander in the hope to distress them a little and over did it so these will need touch ups later, or I might hide it in the weathering stage.
WBJP9Fv.png

As you can see here:
07AjcbQ.png
and here:
wxktn4w.png

Oops, should be able to fix that later...

Also made use of the Maketar set's tail strip mask and painted it with MRP-113 Sky (without white undercoat, was surprised at how opaque it came out).
4DoG3So.png

And since I had it in the Airbrush I also did the nose and popped it on for a quick looky lou, really starting to look like a Spit here!
V97feue.png

Next I moved onto the bottom Roundels, again using the Maketar masks, not sure I got the positioning 100% perfect, and the protrusions made it particularly difficult to make the mask adhere to the shape, but they came out okay.
zsB5n9V.png

Close-ups, you can see a little red made it under the white masks, should be fixable (or hideable):
AmArpVN.png
ZJAXOKy.png

Now for the next shots from Today (everything prior was Saturday) I spent what felt like ALL day masking the roundels on the sides, and the yellow and red flashes on the wing leading edges, again with the use of the awesome Maketar masks.
j5fZEv4.png

fC5PLbC.png

wcldmeH.png

3p7KSYT.png

XQcc9Nu.png

And that was it for the day... wow.. masking takes SO long to get (at least mostly) right..
This was the pile of tape and discarded masks after doing the wing tips and side roundels, (which annoyingly ended up being a little high, but the fact they're painted, makes me happy)
iNzhHXD.png

I'm enjoying it still, it's not perfect.. but I'm learning.. really feels like it's getting somewhere now and making bigger strides, I'm working from home again this week so might get some more done. More masking, more letters.. *yay*..

Still got the props, engine exhausts, undercarraige, tail flash and lettering etc to do..  but then it's on to gloss coat, there's a couple decals to go on and then weathering!.

One thing I did notice on the decal callouts, the black 1mm thick strip on the length of the wings (included as a decal, but I have a mask for it, so intend to paint it, then use the decal text for details) it's over the top of the roundel on one wing, and under on the other... which way should it be? 

Getting there, slowly.

Thanks if you got this far, cheers

Sub

Edited by Subodai

52 minutes ago, bdthoresen said:

Wow man, looks great. Love the painted on

markings. Keep em’ coming.....

THOR   :ph34r:

Thanks THOR :) Yeah the painted markings I think make a huge difference personally.

35 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Nice!  Love the look of those MRP colors. They spray SO so beautifully 

Yeah I'm super impressed with them, they're a dream to shoot as well, no fuss, no extra thinning and I could mask and spray over the colours super fast, no pickup on my masking at all, and only time between colours was enough for me to empty, rinse and add the next colour to the brush. They're brilliant, I'm properly loving these lacquers :) ( I was not paid for this comment, I've spent plenty of my own money on these from Premium Hobbies lol )