1/32 WNW Pfalz D.IIIa

HotWaffle

46 minutes ago, Subodai said:

So I have to admit, I opened this thread and got the last post first and was like. Holy cow, his first LSP is made of wood?! 
Then went back to appreciate all the work so far and read up to here, that's some _very_ nice work on that prop wood effect!

Had me fooled for a second there!!

Haha thanks! 

41 minutes ago, dodgem37 said:

Do you have a source for your ribbed piping?

The ribbed piping is actually the kit part. I figure you could wrap thin wire around a thicker piece of wire like a guitar string to get a similar effect: Acoustic-Guitar-Strings.jpg

You could also buy roundwound guitar strings if you need a piece with a diameter greater than 1mm.

My new airbrush arrived yesterday and I promptly put it to work marbling the wings:

CY424Ti.jpg

EjlvL1h.jpg?2

While letting the marbling on the wings dry, I masked the fuselage markings:

wf2WXVv.jpg?1

MqT5gRA.jpg?1

I then marbled the rest of the model, waited a few hours then laid down the aluminum dope layer.

65BEzsc.jpg?2

arI9HeD.jpg?1

XL7mvO9.jpg?1

There is some edge cleaning to do, and the port side white cross is a little uneven relative to the black cross. My plan is to carefully sand down the metallic layer to correct these issues.

In the end I didnt mask anything as I didnt want to lift the metallic paint. Instead, I slowly chipped away the paint with an xacto blade, followed by brushing on some paint to help hide the edge. It's not perfect, but its better.

Co9LFAa.jpg

Once fixed, I sprayed the underside of the loewr wing and the topside of the top wing.

YzjSOWP.jpg

While that dried I added a wrap to the tail skid. 

HJ7tBFs.jpg

I then removed all the engine and cockppit masking and started painting the primed metal hatches on the surfaces.

ZeadmI1.jpg

The coronavirus has shut down all school here in Spain, so progress should speed up on the pfalz in the next few weeks.

Today I started painting the empennage chevrons. First, I masked for the yellow sections:

MMWtPps.jpg?1

2gQZ12K.jpg?1

Quick and light marble base:

YnIOc3S.jpg?1

Unmasked:

5fV6xyH.jpg?1

9Doz1Oz.jpg?2

Again, not perfect but I'm satisfied with the result. Next up will be masking the yellow and spraying the light green.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...