1/32 WNW Pfalz D.IIIa

HotWaffle

Hey all!

I recently picked up the Wingnut Wings re-release of their Pfalz D.IIIa (my favorite WW1 airplane). This is my second WNW ann 1/32 kit, the first being a Roland C.II I built some months ago.

I'll be making a Pfalz D.IIIa from Jasta 46. I've yet to decide between one with black and white bands or Rudolf Matthaei's Pfalz.

Here is a skin I made of the 3-band skin for IL2: Flying Circus:

Gl8RjaQ.png

and Matthaei's pfalz, which had black and white chevrons as a personal marking:

lIVN2wg.jpg

My plan is to do as much of the internal piping and wiring as possible. I'll be leaving off all of the covers to show off as much detail as possible. To this end I'll be adding spark plugs, rocker arms and valve spring from Taurus models, LMG08s and turnbuckles from Gaspatch and white metal undercarriage parts from Scale Aircraft conversions. I've also got the decals from WNW's previous pfalz kit so I have various balkenkreuzes and serials to choose from.

I started the build a week or two ago, so here is my progress so far.

I put in lots of 0.3 and 0.5mm holes to accomodate for pipes and wire I'll be adding to the engine and interior.

m6W6lWM.jpg

iSTLAde.jpg?1

elevator, throttle and trigger cables added to the control stick:

geF5Lct.jpg?1

Interior frame and floor put together with fuel lines and grease pipe installed.

6lTidet.jpg?1

The oil filter I made from a spare bit of landing gear.

zpT4ymw.jpg?1

Air pump, fuel filter and various other pipes installed

BgayYT0.jpg

3TjvSPn.jpg

Interior weathering done by oil washes and splattering.

D8D3B3t.jpg?1

gIpJBi0.jpg?1

Edited by HotWaffle

Thanks for the comments, guys!

I finished the engine this morning. Lots of 0.2, 0.3 and 0.5mm wire was used to replace/add pipes to the engine. While it doesnt show up well on camera, I used  a dark dirt acrylic wash  and some black-brown oil paints to weather the top half of the engine. I didnt bother with the bottom half as it wont be visible.

WTnQ4uA.jpg?1I8fuLiH.jpg?2pjTMJls.jpg?1

37 minutes ago, dodgem37 said:

Nicely done.

'. . . and splattering . . .'

Could you explain/show your technique?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

22:56-23:17 in this video is the technique I use, although I use an exacto blade instead of a toothpick (for more precise control) and thinned down oil paints instead of pigments. Pigments work just fine, but I prefer the look of thinned oil paints. I wouldn't recommend thinned acrylics as they pool and dry is weird ways.