1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

On 5/6/2022 at 7:54 PM, Citadelgrad said:

Wow, John.  I would have guessed this was outside your comfort zone, but its clear your skillset does not appear to have mortal bounds. What a great Corsair.   

Thanks Bill!  Being a state-of-art Tamiya kit made things a little easier and I wanted to see what people were raving about.  All the superlatives about this kit are true!

On 5/6/2022 at 8:12 PM, Jboldt007 said:

what is it about a weathered Corsair? Sends shivers up my spine. OMG i want to eat it-  it looks so good. Superior work. including the pack.  

Thank you very much!  One of the dilemmas that I had was the paint that I was going to use on the model.  I used this photograph as a reference to significantly lighten my colors to try and reproduce that fading.

F4U-1_color.jpg

If you look in the background, you can see a Corsair that seems to be factory fresh... a very good comparison to the other planes in the line-up.

F4U-1_colorB.jpg

16 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

An absolute Beauty ...!:bow::clap2:

I had the pleasure of meeting Pappy at a small air show held at the Fullerton, CA Airport about three miles from my childhood home back in 86 ...  I got his autobiography signed by him that day ...

Again, a Stunning model ...! :thumbsup:

-Gregg

Thank you! Wow, that's a great memory!  I used to watch Baa Baa Black Sheep when it was on TV but even at my young age, I could recognize that the Zeros were not authentic and the Corsairs were not wearing the right colors.B)

On 5/8/2022 at 1:33 PM, Cicciuzzo said:

Spettacolo

Thank you! 

On 5/9/2022 at 11:25 AM, Reuben L. Hernandez said:

WOW!!! Killer looking bird. LOVE the wreathing and especially the replacement outer wing section. Very inspirational.

Reuben

Thank you! Replacement wing was speculative but one of those options that make modeling fun for me.

14 hours ago, Jboldt007 said:

the new and old in that photo - wow - what a deference !! G

reat sleuthing! 

Yes! I was also amazed when I saw that. You have account for some of the birdcage Corsairs having the older 2-color scheme but this photo cemented my choice to significantly lighten my colors instead of just trying to fade post-painting.

Thank you again, Maru!  I enjoyed working on this one alot.  I remember working on the cockpit and being floored the moment the decal solvent settled the Barracuda data stencils into place... they looked so amazing!

On 5/21/2022 at 6:29 PM, Cor said:

great work and also very nice photography

Thank you very much!  I appreciate the comments and since I use ambient outdoor lighting as my sole light source, the photography comment is especially appreciated.

9 hours ago, Borsos said:

Perfectly executed!

Andreas

Thank you very much!

On 5/31/2022 at 4:48 PM, Martinnfb said:

Ok now, I am switching to a deferent hobby, perhaps knitting. :) Fabulous build John, just stunning.

i-am-not-worthy-not-worthy.gif

Thank you Martin!  I appreciate the kind words!  And the Wayne's World reference!  Party on!

On 6/4/2022 at 2:33 PM, Granger Davis said:

Oh my goodness, the only word I can say is wow! Stunningly beautiful sir!

Thank you so much!

• 2 months later...