1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Boyington's 17740

Thunnus

GORGEOUS WORK ALL AROUND! CORSAIRS DONE RIGHT FOREVER!:wub:

Really great work in modeling all around, from mixing bits of aftermarket and thought, mixed with one of the best IM plastic kits of "our" times, and paints of the same and the added skill of the hands that made her.. .

A Great rendition in 1/32 scale of an F4U-1"A" in the MAG that pooled aircraft to VMF-214... PRICELESS!!

:wub::wub::wub::clap2::piliot:

Edited by Kaeone57

13 hours ago, Kaeone57 said:

GORGEOUS WORK ALL AROUND! CORSAIRS DONE RIGHT FOREVER!:wub:

Really great work in modeling all around, from mixing bits of aftermarket and thought, mixed with one of the best IM plastic kits of "our" times, and paints of the same and the added skill of the hands that made her.. .

A Great rendition in 1/32 scale of an F4U-1"A" in the MAG that pooled aircraft to VMF-214... PRICELESS!!

:wub::wub::wub::clap2::piliot:

Thank you Alfonso!  Not only for the kind words but also all of the help and expertise that you and others more knowledgeable provided to me along the way.  It's not the best rendition by far but I enjoyed the build and learned some very interesting things about this cool aircraft.  I didn't mention this before but the completion of this project coincided with the untimely passing of Robert Conrad, the actor who played Greg "Pappy" Boyington on Baa Baa Black Sheep, which was probably an inspiration for many of the modelers here.  I posted this RFI the day before his death.  Rest in peace, Mr. Conrad.

On 2/25/2020 at 11:08 PM, Thunnus said:

Thank you Alfonso!  Not only for the kind words but also all of the help and expertise that you and others more knowledgeable provided to me along the way.  It's not the best rendition by far but I enjoyed the build and learned some very interesting things about this cool aircraft.  I didn't mention this before but the completion of this project coincided with the untimely passing of Robert Conrad, the actor who played Greg "Pappy" Boyington on Baa Baa Black Sheep, which was probably an inspiration for many of the modelers here.  I posted this RFI the day before his death.  Rest in peace, Mr. Conrad.

You're welcome Bro! Pleasure was all mine sharing some Corsair info. You'd do the same I'm sure!

Alfonso

I can’t believe I haven’t left an earlier comment.  This is likely my third viewing of this particular model and one of my favorites over the 2019-2020 season so far.  Well done John.  

I really like your weathering technique.   Never duplicated and it’s awesome to look at it on the large MAC screen.  Thanks for sharing his epic build with us.  

Troy. 

16 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

What an outstanding build, this is hands down one of the nicest Corsair builds I have ever seen! Awesome work John!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan!  It's my first and only non-Luftwaffe subject I've tackled in 1/32 scale.  Maybe my unfamiliarity with the subject made for a unique execution... I don't know!

5 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

I can’t believe I haven’t left an earlier comment.  This is likely my third viewing of this particular model and one of my favorites over the 2019-2020 season so far.  Well done John.  

I really like your weathering technique.   Never duplicated and it’s awesome to look at it on the large MAC screen.  Thanks for sharing his epic build with us.  

Troy. 

Thank you so much Troy!  Like most people, I've developed a collection of weathering techniques that I feel comfortable with but am trying to push myself to add some more.  I'm glad you enjoyed this one!

• 2 years later...

John at the time you posted this RFI a couple years ago, I was hard at work on my engine for my 1/18 F4U, I seem to recall.  So I had not yet gotten into the intricacies of the airframe.  Not at all.  Since then, soooo much water has gone under the bridge, and I relook at your -1A build in an entirely different light.  Wish I had been further along to provide more informed comments along the way during your WIP, and to benefit further from comments from other Corsair experts.  I repeat what I had said before - the best Corsair model I have ever seen.  Shrink Ray.  And a fine inspiration for me as I continue.

You are one talented modeler.  We modelers on LSP all have our strengths and weaknesses (in my case more of the latter than the former) - but I would say your biggest strength, among many, is surface prep and painting.  You have made a science out of it, and I just have to shake my head.....  I hope that my final paint job on my -1A turns out better than my past efforts - it deserves better.  My strength is scratch building details that do a decent job of replicating the real thing.  Period.  Even there, my skills pale in comparison to someone like Peter (Airscale) Castle.   My worst weakness is painting.  Gotta do something about that, starting with improving patience!

6 hours ago, JayW said:

John at the time you posted this RFI a couple years ago, I was hard at work on my engine for my 1/18 F4U, I seem to recall.  So I had not yet gotten into the intricacies of the airframe.  Not at all.  Since then, soooo much water has gone under the bridge, and I relook at your -1A build in an entirely different light.  Wish I had been further along to provide more informed comments along the way during your WIP, and to benefit further from comments from other Corsair experts.  I repeat what I had said before - the best Corsair model I have ever seen.  Shrink Ray.  And a fine inspiration for me as I continue.

You are one talented modeler.  We modelers on LSP all have our strengths and weaknesses (in my case more of the latter than the former) - but I would say your biggest strength, among many, is surface prep and painting.  You have made a science out of it, and I just have to shake my head.....  I hope that my final paint job on my -1A turns out better than my past efforts - it deserves better.  My strength is scratch building details that do a decent job of replicating the real thing.  Period.  Even there, my skills pale in comparison to someone like Peter (Airscale) Castle.   My worst weakness is painting.  Gotta do something about that, starting with improving patience!

Thanks for the kind words, Jay!  I have the same mindset when it comes to my own modeling... I think I know what my strengths are (airbrush painting) and my weaknesses (scratchbuilding) but feel inadequate when comparing my work to others.  But I'm trying to get better and I think I am. Posting my builds, following other people's builds, they are all a part of that process for me as I'm sure they are for you too!  But thank you, sincerely!

6 hours ago, Daywalker said:

I don't know how I missed this one before, what an amazingly well done model.  One of the finest representations of the Corsair I have ever seen.

My hat is off to you sir! :bow:

Thank you!  The Corsair is not a subject that I would normally gravitate to.  But it was a refreshing change of course and even the color palette of blues was strangely liberating and fun to play with!

An absolute Beauty ...!:bow::clap2:

I had the pleasure of meeting Pappy at a small air show held at the Fullerton, CA Airport about three miles from my childhood home back in 86 ...  I got his autobiography signed by him that day ...

Again, a Stunning model ...! :thumbsup:

-Gregg