N1K2-J Shiden-Kai

Uncarina

On 3/13/2020 at 10:33 PM, Madmax said:

Whoa, that all happened pretty fast! Lovely riveting, and the masked bits look brilliant. Did you paint the white surround of the hinomaru first or last Tom?

Thanks! I hope to bring out the riveting, which period photos show is prominent in places, with oils and other weathering. I painted the white surrounds first, then applied inset masks.

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

3 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Now that is really distinctive.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis, I was trying to take the road less travelled, and Shawns 1/24 version inspired me.

3 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Good show.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark! I hope to wrap up the build soon.

Cheers,  Tom

Just finished. I really enjoyed this build, and it allowed me another chance to use masks for the markings. Hats off to Hasegawa--an exceptionally well detailed and engineered kit. I will be posting more pics in the RFI section. Thanks for your comments and encouragement!

Cheers,  Tom

ZbY2Wp6.jpg

8QTgncT.jpg

3 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Brilliant finish as ever Tom, very striking finish as well. Looking foward to your RFI pictures.

Regards. Andy 

Andy, thanks so much! I’ve been wanting to do this for some time, glad to see it to the finish line.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks John! I wanted this to stand out in the display case, and had always wanted to do a prototype build. It did go fast, aside from riveting. Other mods were more modest: engine wiring, removing the antenna, and modifying the front canopy. Don’t tell anyone, but the first prototype was actually unarmed. I didn’t notice this until after the cannon and gunsight were installed!

Cheers,  Tom