N1K2-J Shiden-Kai

Uncarina

After my Ki-45 build I was on a roll with Japanese aviation, so I started building the Hasegawa N1K2-J Shiden-Kai. It's a great kit, but let's see what we can do with it!

Inserts:

1. joined each forward and rear fuselage half together, filling and sanding the joint lines

2. added the lower wing plugs, filling and sanding the joint lines

Cockpit:

1. added wiring

2. scratchbuilt the throttle quadrant (the kit part was a solid piece with bumps sticking out)

3. similarly, added slots for the various control levers

4. thinned the seat edges and drilled out the lightening holes

5. painted with a 1:1 mix of AK Interactive's Nakajima and MItsubishi interior green

6. added HGW seatbelts

3HfFeki.jpg

e5IIHdp.jpg

gBdI2JQ.jpg

aMeC8xp.jpg

4P6iSXc.jpg

Riveting:

1. just started on the underside:

Z75ZG6k.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Nice Tom. Still painting my cockpit right now. Built the wings and fuselage parts up already as well. Working on some new painting techniques picked up from armor modelers, such as filters, high contrasting, and oil paint weathering.....I am having a ball. I like what you have done so far.

What was the HGW set you used? What is it’s number? I still have not sourced a seatbelt set yet....

Keep the updates coming.

THOR    :ph34r:

48 minutes ago, bdthoresen said:

Nice Tom. Still painting my cockpit right now. Built the wings and fuselage parts up already as well. Working on some new painting techniques picked up from armor modelers, such as filters, high contrasting, and oil paint weathering.....I am having a ball. I like what you have done so far.

What was the HGW set you used? What is it’s number? I still have not sourced a seatbelt set yet....

Keep the updates coming.

THOR    :ph34r:

Thor,  thanks! I’m glad you’re enjoying our respective builds, as am I. Here’s a link for the belts:

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-planes-interior-detail-sets-hgw-models-hgw-132544

Cheers,  Tom

On 2/6/2020 at 6:12 PM, Thunnus said:

Very cool!  I really like the Shiden, although I'm more of a fan of the mid-wing N1K1.  The cockpit looks great!  I love the new throttle quadrant.

Thanks John! I hollowed out the kit part, added slots to thin styrene, then glued it to the top and cut to shape. I’d say if there’s only one modification to the cockpit, this should be it, as the throttle is very visible.

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

11 minutes ago, Dutch Man said:

Nice work on the throttle quadrant. Like with the Ki-84, base cockpit is pretty straight forward. 

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Thanks for your encouragement!

Cheers,  Tom

11 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Nice project Tom and great start, how do the AK colours perform out of interest?

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy! Overall, they behave similarly to Tamiya paints, even compatible with the same thinner. My first application however wasn’t thinned enough, so I had to strip everything with isopropyl alcohol (almost wrote IPA, but that brings to mind something very different). The benefit was some great shadowing effects in the nooks and crannies where I wasn’t able to remove it all. For the second application I thinned more heavily than with Tamiya paints and it sprayed like a dream. I would recommend them with this caveat.

Cheers,  Tom