P-39 Airacobra, by Kitty Hawk

On 3/29/2020 at 11:21 PM, themongoose said:

Wow did that FLATTEN out! Looking good so far :clap2:

Yes it certainly did, and thankfully, that was the effect and shade of OD that I was looking for.

One thing I didn't mention in the previous update was the gun which pokes through the spinner.  P-39Q's had a shroud around the cannon and the kit part provided needed about 4mm cut off to get the correct length.  On this plane, that shroud was painted, but not all were.  What the kit provides for this part is not correct for a P-39Q.

Here's a couple of shots of the remaining build.  First, all the light went in.  Then, the nose wheel went in easier than I thought, but the retraction mechanism behind it had to be glued and set first.  I got the right angles here once I'd made a couple of adjustments and it lined up properly.  Readers may recall that the instructions would have you install the nose wheel while the wheel well is assembled and that this is then glued into the fuselage as you assemble the two halves.  I didn't like that idea, as I think it's likely to lead to the nose wheel leg braking during construction, and I still think so.  So I clipped the mounting peg out so that I could slide the leg into place around the prop drive shaft.  Then I glued some strips of 0.5mm flat stock into place in the wheel well just in front of where the leg mounts to give me something to glue the leg to.  This was done prior to fuselage assembly.  Having attached the front nose wheel door onto the leg, I then glued the leg into place and manoeuvered the actuating links into place to get the right angles.  Lastly, I glued in the main wheel legs, which should be angled backwards slightly.

j0lycz.jpg

I also added a little oil and muck staining to the rear of the radiators.  Then the last remaining pieces went on, starting with the main wheels and doors, and I added some brake lines, then the nose wheel doors and the DF loop.  I also flattened the bottom of the tires to simulate weight on them.  Lastly, I added some exhaust staining.

B4RuQ3.jpg

And at this point, it's as done as done is going to get.  Naturally, I found a picture of this plane two days ago, in that book that I pictured above.  Here it is.

Awwfqv.jpg

The pilot, Lt (Senior Grade) Aleksandr P. Filitov is seated front row left.  The three cards illustration on the door is a reference to Pushkin's novel, "the Queen of Spades".  The plane flew with the 30th Guards wing in 1944, and this unit was still operating the type until 1949.  Here's my rendition of this plane.

ceb6tP.jpg

I think I've caught it reasonably well, though I wish I'd seen this picture, and the rest of the book, before I finished painting and decalling, as I'd have left the prop natural metal.  I had assumed that since the plane was flown in the standard USAAF colours, then the prop would be the same.  Wrong!!  Overall, however, I'm pleased with the result and the kit went together very well, but test fitting parts before and after with reference to the next stage, is essential.  Also, as I mentioned in an earlier update, I think the instrument panel is both too thick and located too far forward, fowling the windscreen.  I'm also very glad I put some tape behind the door/windscreen gap, as this was still slightly misaligned after the glue dried.  I may well build another P-39, but not in OD/neutral grey.  I have an idea for an RAAF plane, if I can find a set of markings for one.  Here's a few more pictures.

ouKAZf.jpg

ucmF2d.jpg

90TtGr.jpg

Here's a couple of shots of the engine.

Left side:

nqleFG.jpg

Right side:

Y8YyNV.jpg

Guns:

LYgpAe.jpg

And here's the cockpit.

Left side:

X87lN6.jpg

Right side:

QOW1XK.jpg

Lastly, here it is with a couple of compadres.

qI1ZA3.jpg

Even though the Airacobra is a small plane, smaller than a Spitfire or 109, it seems quite large alongside other Russian fighters.  Final thoughts:  This is actually a very good kit and I managed to finish it much faster than I thought I would.  I was also impressed with the way the decals laid down so well once dried and didn't reduce the surface detail.  I'm not sure about the DF loop.  Some planes had it, but most didn't.  Weight in the nose is a must if you want to avoid a tail sitter.  There's a couple of inaccuracies such as the tiny air intakes that go behind the doors and engine, but in fact the ones provided that go behind the engine shouldn't be there.  That hole is for the inertia starter handle.  The cannon barrel in the spinner is too long for a P-39N or Q.  It's also a pity that KH didn't provide for a 4 bladed prop, which later Q's had, which might make the choice of subject more interesting or varied.  Although I don't have another, I will buy again if I can find some markings for something very different, such as an RAAF version.  P-39's didn't vary much externally, and the kit has enough parts to model anything from a D onwards.  As to the length of this model being too short, I now remain to be convinced that it actually is by any discernible length.

So that wraps up this build.  I'll post a few more shots after this.  No, if KH would just do us a model of a P-63 King Cobra...  :lol::lol:

Cheers, and I hope everyone is well.

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

On 4/2/2020 at 2:08 AM, dennismcc said:

That looks rather good, it's great to see a Soviet P39 as they used them rather well, I must one day build a VVS P-39, I have the kit and the decals just need the time

Cheers

Dennis

Yes, the Russians used them to great effect and German pilots soon became very wary of the aggressive tactics used by Russian pilots.  The VVS was very much aware of the aft CG issues with the plane and made a number of small modifications to reduce the effects, and pilots were under strict instructions not to do aerobatics in them in once the ammunition had been expended.  With ammunition on board, the plane was very manoeuverable and this was used to full effect.  Eastern front operations suited the Airacobra whereas it didn't have the altitude capability for use on the western front, or the range needed for the Pacific front.  I think it was a much under-rated plane.  When the King Cobra was designed, Bell designers spent a lot of time consulting with Russian pilots to improve the plane.

I hope we'll see your build of the P-39 when you get to it.  I've bought another one, with the decals and aftermarket I was after, but I don't plan on building it immediately.  Maybe next year.

On 4/2/2020 at 8:26 AM, themongoose said:

Stellar. I’ve enjoyed following along, learning about the plane with you and seeing the different choices and solutions you put together to build this little beauty!

Thank you.  I hope it has encouraged others to get this model out of the stash.  Of course, looking at my pictures I see some mistakes which I felt are too late to fix, but I guess like most here, I'm my own worst critic.  Hopefully my next one will be better.  Ever since I built the old Monogram 1/48 model, this is a kit I've wanted for decades, so my thanks to KH for providing it.

On 4/2/2020 at 10:15 AM, BradG said:

Super work mate, I will add you to the gallery.

Thanks Brad. :)  I may be adding another one to this group build.  It depends on whether the fiddly bits I ordered ex UK arrive in the next few days.

On 4/2/2020 at 11:52 AM, Troy Molitor said:

Wow.  That looks so good.  The pictures with the door open and showing the cockpit looks fantastic.  Well done!   

Thank you.  The cockpit turned out well, and I thought it would be a pity not to do something with the doors.  Thankfully, the way the hinges turned out is not too obtrusive to detract from the overall effect.

On 4/2/2020 at 4:16 PM, Dany Boy said:

Looking very nice! Great collection :wub:

Yes, thanks to this group build, I got the encouragement to do something different to the usual and I now have a display that reflects that.  It's great to see so many new LSP injection mold releases are of subjects not done before, such as the P-39, the I-16 and the Gladiator.  I hope this trend continues, especially as they all seem to be a very high standard.

Cheers all, and thank you for following this build.   I hope you're all well.

Michael

Looking at the pictures made me see a couple of things I missed, so here's another shot firstly with some mud on the tires and secondly with some over-spray in the right side engine compartment fixed.

IzlGJV.jpg

I'm going to stop looking for such things now :rolleyes:.

Cheers,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations, your model is very good looking. 
I want to build a P-400 from the Guadalcanal campaign, but the decals will be the issue. Special Hobby makes one, but I prefer the KH after seeing yours.

12 hours ago, Padubon said:

Congratulations, your model is very good looking. 
I want to build a P-400 from the Guadalcanal campaign, but the decals will be the issue. Special Hobby makes one, but I prefer the KH after seeing yours.

That would be a good project.  I went for the KH kit over the SH kit because it's more detailed, which appeals to me.  I think it's a great kit, but it does need careful assembly.  So I've bought a second kit, just to prove the point :lol:.  I have planned to build a P-39D in RAAF colours, but if you do find some P-400 exhausts that will suit this kit, please let me know.

Cheers,

Michael