Harrier advice sought

Landrotten Highlander

Hi All,

this is an inquest directed to the more knowledgeable members of our society.  I am very interested in the development of engineering and science and plan to start a collection of aircraft that played a significant role in the development of the knowledge and capabilities.  One of those aircraft is the Harrier Jump Jet.

Now my question:  I am seeking to build a model of an early variant - and if possible the aircraft used in the demonstration at farnborough where the jet performed some sort of horizontal pirouette only to make a rather heavy landing making lots of expensive noises:blink:.

What model and manufacturere would you recommend - scale 1:32 only please.

This project is the first project where I want to go to super detailing so not afraid to make alterations, but it would help if I do not have to 're-manufacture' too many parts due to wrong shape (rescribing of panel lines and adding rivets is not included here). Any pointers re useful aftermarket products and books/references are also much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

L.H.

The only early Harrier kit in 1/32 is the ancient Revell kit, which I believe was made from an early development aircraft as it has some features like different hot exhaust nozzles, which may work out for what you want it for.  It’s got raised panel lines and the level of detail you’d expect for a kit first released in 1972, like a crude cockpit and no wheel wells.

Here’s a link to the instructions for the most recent reissue.

https://downloads.revell.de/Manuals-Modelkits/05690_%23BAU_HARRIER_GR1.PDF

The only other 1/32 Harriers are the Trumpeter kits, but they are of the AV-8B Harrier II versions.

Edited by Dave Williams

I know you want it in 1/32nd, but probably the best shot of an early Harrier is the ancient 1/24th Airfix kit. Will take a lot of work to bring it up to today's standards, but it's size would make an impressive centerpiece of aviation achievements. 

I recall a line of harrier developments in 1/32 by a builder on LSP many years ago, he used the old Revell kit at that time, and even constructed a Kestrel from one of those kits i believe.

Alas i can't find the article or WIP.

J.

There is only the Revell kit suitable, which represents one of the six early production types XV276 - XV281. A different scale, but Spencer Pollard's 1/24 Harrier T2 should prove inspirational, which is covered in this book.

A couple of builds, which Jack mentioned:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=220

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=2882

One thing I'll advise after looking at both the articles referred to above, is to not let the lower windscreen frame ride up onto the transparency as it has the effect of foreshortening the windscreen depth and changing the look of the Harrier. Careful assembly may solve it or, as it's a relatively simple shape moulding a replacement may be the best bet.

16 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

There is only the Revell kit suitable, which represents one of the six early production types XV276 - XV281. A different scale, but Spencer Pollard's 1/24 Harrier T2 should prove inspirational, which is covered in this book.

A couple of builds, which Jack mentioned:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=220

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=2882

Andy thanks for the reminder, but i was referring to a kind of "article" feature, were the builder showed a line-up of Kestrel/Harrier developments, also a dual seat Harrier (ID conversion), going up to the AV versions, but i'm not sure now it was on LSP, maybe on Britmodeller, and looking at it that way, maybe Iain might be of some assistance, Iain?

The Revell kit has JUST been rereleased in a HUGE  box, some seriously nice decals, but the kit is unchanged from 1975 or so. It can be made into an excellent GR1, or a GR3, a bit more work a SHAR, or even a T2.... Hey,  never say never!!! Tigger Models do some vacform fuselage parts for these conversions, and Spencer Pollard published an excellent monograph on several Harrier projects which is worth tracking down. ADH do a couple of nice books, The SHAR one in particular has a lovely SHAR in 1:24 from Nick Greenhall, so plenty of advice and inspiration! 

Edited by wunwinglow

5 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Tim, does John have the required parts to turn the Revell kit into a legitimate GR.1?

Kev

No. He re-released the ID models two- seater conversion and produces a SHAR conversion. However, to me, the shapes of the Sea Harrier parts look weird but I cannot identify where is the problem. 

The P.1127 linked above is mine. I wanted to build an early RAF operational one which quickly became apparent was not possible. Plan B resulted in this which was hard work with a lot of changes and I liked the challenge, but never again. When I saw the kit at Telford being re-released I thought noooooooooooo.

its now in the Boscombe Down Museum at Old Sarum.

Steve.

2 hours ago, BaldEagle said:

It's incredible that the only Harrier in 1/32 is one from 1972!!

Only first generation Harrier anyway.  Trumpeter released four second generation 1/32 Harrier kits about 10 years ago.

Edited by Dave Williams

On 2/5/2020 at 3:08 PM, thierry laurent said:

No. He re-released the ID models two- seater conversion and produces a SHAR conversion. However, to me, the shapes of the Sea Harrier parts look weird but I cannot identify where is the problem. 

it's too narrow when you mate it to the fuselage. I have one.