Another Goldfinch!!

mozart

WiP with the conn rods:

6LOjYc.jpg

And all nicely in place:

sjDZJT.jpg

Fitting the ignition leads will quite a tight fit with the collector ring:

pWH0yY.jpg

I've ordered three different sized packs of plastic tubing for the ignition leads, hoping these will do the job.

This is the part which causes me most concern with the whole model, it gave me the most trouble with the first Stieglitz so I'm planning a different approach this time:

3GJF3n.jpg

It's the collector ring and fairing plates:

nb6X0R.jpg

which as you can see are actually very thin pieces of metal.

The Silver Wings one "fits where it touches":

B4RlAO.jpg

which is at most 4 out of 7 location points.  Trying to "bully" them into position with the vulnerable engine and its spark plugs etc sticking up in between each one is rather fraught, so my plan is to cut them off and scratch some new ones from 10 thou card, then put them in place right towards the end of the build.  I'll put some sills on the front fuselage and aft collector ring as seats.  That's the theory anyway! :blink:

Excellent progress Max. It is I think a good looking airplane. I was fortunate to see three last July at the Military Airshow at Old Warden 

49535683071_5507c82daf_k.jpgDSC_4457_12763 by Darren Greenwood, on Flickr

49535914147_1ad22cdde2_k.jpgDSC_4459_12765 by Darren Greenwood, on Flickr

49535693991_73f0420980_k.jpgDSC_4458_12764 by Darren Greenwood, on Flickr

Edited by daz greenwood

It's been one of those days today when things haven't gone quite right.  It started off with me fixing the rear floor section too far aft, my fault for not looking at the instructions clearly enough:

jHrvzi.jpg

My mistake only became apparent when I tested the fit of the linkage between the two joysticks, but by then the CA had set firmly so I had no alternative other than cutting out the floor and framing, scratching a new section of framing then re-positioning the floor.  Fortunately despite my measurements being a mm or so short on one section, the floor covers my errors:

xbwY0k.jpg

Looks ok and it's strong.  When I came to fit the students' rudder pedals, I found they hadn't been supplied so I made a couple of "generic" ones from some 3mm channel.

Bb0VdM.jpg

Ah well.....:wacko:

Progress is progress even though it takes sometimes more work to get the desired result. Keep going Max - it's a pleasure to watch your build!

While scrolling through the book "Embleme der Luftwaffe", initially looking for a Bü 131 from a recon squadron for a late start to the eastern front group build, I discovered the picture of a crash landed Fw 44 from 2.(H)/21. Should I buy my first ever full resin kit?

56 minutes ago, Fanes said:

While scrolling through the book "Embleme der Luftwaffe", initially looking for a Bü 131 from a recon squadron for a late start to the eastern front group build, I discovered the picture of a crash landed Fw 44 from 2.(H)/21. Should I buy my first ever full resin kit?

That is a great picture Joachim, I learned so much from studying it.  The Silver Wings Stieglitz really is a delightful kit to build, I'll be highlighting the more difficult areas here as I progress and hopefully suggesting ways of overcoming them, so Yes, go resin!! :clap2::P  To be honest, I almost prefer resin to IM plastic, I feel I have more control.  Just was well with all the Silver Wings kits I have plus the AlleyCat Fury, the Fisher Sea Fury and the Lukgraph DH89 upcoming!

Edited by mozart