Tamiya 1/32 F-15 single seaters

ade rowlands

8 hours ago, ghatherly said:

I think you might have the two reversed my friend.    The Tamiya E,C, and J have panel line layouts for the "E" model.  These include "E" JFS intakes, Speedbrake plates and way to many panel lines that differ for the "C/J" models.   Revell has the correct panel line layout for the light grays,  but they are deep and wide......very wide.   Where Revell has the panel lines all screwed up is they use their C/D kit for an E, and other than the prototype Strike Eagle none sere built that way.  In fact 5 attrition replacement "D's" ordered by the Israeli Air Force were built on the "E" airframe as the "D" airframe was no longer being built.  Revell never made a correct "E" F-15 kit in 1/32..... but they got it right in 1/48!!!!!!!!!

Go figure!

Hi Gary, 

No, I mentioned previously the panel problems on the Tamiya C. The Revell kit has indeed wide panel lines but they are also too numerous and sometimes wrongly positioned. Similarly have a look at the position of the vents close to the starboard gun location and you will also see they should be moved! The fuselage is globally Ok but what I mentionned is particularly visible on both sides of the wings. Except the C-E confusion, Tamiya panel lines correspond rather well to pictures and plans. 

23 minutes ago, ade rowlands said:

Well I’ve ordered the Tamiya F-15J and bookmarked the GT resin bits and pieces at Sprue Brothers, wheels, intakes, LAU rails and whatnot. Decals ordered from Reid Air Publications. I wanted to do a Lakenheath Eagle but the Astra decals are long out of print so I went for another option. The sheet has an Agressor and a Kadena option. I’ll decide on which one to do much further down the road, but another question, would making the Agressor scheme involve any work or is it a simple affair? 

No additional work for you!

7 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

Well I’ve ordered the Tamiya F-15J and bookmarked the GT resin bits and pieces at Sprue Brothers, wheels, intakes, LAU rails and whatnot. Decals ordered from Reid Air Publications. I wanted to do a Lakenheath Eagle but the Astra decals are long out of print so I went for another option. The sheet has an Agressor and a Kadena option. I’ll decide on which one to do much further down the road, but another question, would making the Agressor scheme involve any work or is it a simple affair? 
just remembered Chuck’s F-15 Aggressor build so off to find that and read through. But there’s something alluring about the ZZ Kadena tail code too. We shall see. The kit is on the slow boat from Hong Kong so plenty of time to decide. 

FYI, my build thread is here- almost 2 years of work:

Tamiya F-15C Kicked Up a Notch

And the final product is here:

1/32 F-15C Aggressor

The Aggressors were identical to the other versions of the F-15C and F-15D Eagle, other than the paint scheme and countermeasures pods like the ELTA 8222, which wasn't used on the regular jets.  I highly recommend using the Two Mikes nozzles with the Eduard F-15E PE set, which really makes the engines pop.

Cheers,

Chuck

The KA exhausts are equal to any PE Details......

The KA burner tube and flame holder are wrong, but their nozzles, because they are printed and not hybrids, have the very small push rods that connect the bell-crank to the individual peddles. The PE has these but they are very two dimensional.  

keep in mind that we are splitting hairs here,  as the KA’s or hybrids are both very nice!!!

7 minutes ago, ghatherly said:

have the very small push rods that connect the bell-crank to the individual peddles. The PE has these but they are very two dimensional.  

keep in mind that we are splitting hairs here,  as the KA’s or hybrids are both very nice!!!

Agreed, which is why I used the kit ones instead.  My point is, the KA's don't blow the hybrids away at all.

Cheers,

Chuck

9 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi Gary, 

No, I mentioned previously the panel problems on the Tamiya C. The Revell kit has indeed wide panel lines but they are also too numerous and sometimes wrongly positioned. Similarly have a look at the position of the vents close to the starboard gun location and you will also see they should be moved! The fuselage is globally Ok but what I mentionned is particularly visible on both sides of the wings. Except the C-E confusion, Tamiya panel lines correspond rather well to pictures and plans. 

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the panel lines.  While the gun vents are off on the Revell,  that was not what I was commenting on.

When i build a C from the Tamiya kit,  i end up filling far more panel lines & access panels than i do when building the Revell, not to mention having to add panel lines Present on the C not present on the E’s.  Remember the E’s were a completely new internal design due to the additional electronics,  common engine bay requirement, increased gross weight, and double the service life hours required of the Strike Eagle.

In reality there were major differences between the A and the C if you want to split hairs,  even before the E’s were designed.

5 minutes ago, chuck540z3 said:

Agreed, which is why I used the kit ones instead.  My point is, the KA's don't blow the hybrids away at all.

Cheers,

Chuck

What kit ones are you referring too,  the burner tube,  the actuator arms, or the bell crank connecting rods?

Edited by ghatherly

I think it all depends how you judge your own abilities. I've always been a big admirer of what Chuck can achieve - I'll never

play in the same league - but I'd rather leave my fingers off something I'm sure I can't handle. I've got a set of KA F-15 exhausts

for a 48 scale (:closedeyes:) kit and I have to agree, they're the best you can get if you're just happy to add a perfect set of exhausts

to your model.

Lothar