ChuckT

Best (ie smoothest) rattle can primer?

+1 for the Tamiya grays, both fine and regular. NOT the white one. The white has it's uses, but it does not cover worth a dang.

I use the regular gray one if I'm going to do a lot of sanding, fine gray for the final coat before color. 

Tim

19 hours ago, BiggTim said:

+1 for the Tamiya grays, both fine and regular. NOT the white one. The white has it's uses, but it does not cover worth a dang.

I use the regular gray one if I'm going to do a lot of sanding, fine gray for the final coat before color. 

Tim

You are right Tim, but if used as a base coat for white it works really well as a head start on the final finish.

I cant really agree with the Tamiya fine white lacking on coverage..................Ive used it on nearly all my models, especially the resin ones and not ever really had a problem with it covering.

AAMOF, I used it on my ZM SPAD, and the thing looked like it was molded from old Revell plastic when I was done. Its always covered like GANGBUSTERS for me personally, no matter the base color. I even used it on my Extra 330, and that had a run of black primer down prior to shooting the white. 

I also use the Tamiya White Primer for my airliner builds, and I find the coverage to be excellent for a white pigment. It also means that if I'm happy with the primer coat, it also serves at the top coat for a lot of builds.

Kev

Mr Hobby, Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 in grey/black or white is the best I have tried, all of our masters we treat with this straight from the can. One of the great things is if you have imperfections like a scratch or a blemish a quick flash and it's gone.

All the 3D work we get in is treated with this stuff it makes my job a lot easier when removing masters from moulds.

Bob

I have used Tamiya white and the Gunze 1200 rattle cans primers.  They are top drawer. Both require care so the amount sprayed fosters self leveling.  The Tamiya breaks into a drip a bit easier and I feel this is because it is white and harder to see.  It does buff up satin just right when used as a top color.  I like Gunze for its covering power on resin booboos.