Best (ie smoothest) rattle can primer?

ChuckT

Hey everyone. Doing some scratch building and was wondering what your experiences are when it comes to rattle can primers?

I know you will never get as smooth a finish from a rattle can as you will an airbrush, but for those times when your in a hurry, which rattle can primer do you find to be the smoothest? So far my Tamiya fine surface primer is giving me a nicer finish as compared to my Gunze 1500 rattle can, but did I just have a bad can of Gunze?

Curious your thoughts on this.

The two you mention are indeed the best, and my experience with them has been that they produce a similar result. And I'd argue that you can indeed get as smooth a result from them straight out of the can as you can with an airbrush - superior, sometimes. Unless I only need them for a small area, I'll usually just reach for the can, rather than bother with the airbrush. Tamiya's Fine White primer is also great for airliners, as it works as both primer and topcoat!

Kev

The issue I had with the Gunze 1500 might have been due to me being in a rush. Usually I heat up the cans in a bag in hot water and I shake the can for a couple of minutes before using. This time I failed to do both. Sometimes when your in a rush you just dont think!

I'm going to do some test sprays with my rattle cans and do a comparison to make some notes. If they dont give me the results I'm needing I'll also do some test sprays with my various airbrush primers.

21 hours ago, ChuckT said:

Do you find the Tamiya fine white to be smoother than the Gunze 1500, or about the same? Just wondering if my experience with the 1500 was due to my bad prep of the can or maybe a bad batch?

Near the same, but when I shoot with Tamiya fine white, it normally goes down so smooth the model ends up looking like its made out of white plastic.  Id have to give the Tamiya fine a slight edge in smoothness to MS 1500 myself. 

6 hours ago, ChuckT said:

Are you decanting it and then airbrushing, or shooting it straight from the can?

There's really no need to decant any of the Mr. Surfacer primers, as they're all (AFAIK) available in jar format also. Tamiya does have at least one of its primers available in a bottle, but honestly, they all spray so smoothly straight out of the can, that the only reason to airbrush them instead is if you're covering a small area. I do decant Tamiya's AS and TS paints for airbrushing, though.

Kev

I also use the Citadel brand of primers. They are on par with the Tamiya primers I’ve used. For me the benefit has been the oversized can, at 292g, not just the smaller 180ml. Super fine and lays down thin and smooth. Comes in like 6 colors now as well. Used mostly by the wargamer figure painters.