The Revell Classic trilogy

LSP_Mike

22 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

1. Whereas the Spit and P-40 were globally sound from a shape and dimensions perspective, the 109 was an absolute mess! 

2. I just realized that the very first kits had the best panel and rivet scribing (overlapping panels, scribed screw heads and a mix of recessed and protruding rivets) whereas the later kits had far more simplified and less accurate surface features. This is a rare case of a model company releasing kits that were not better than their ancestors. 

They were the innovation of 1/32 a/c kits which became popular pretty quickly.

It may be that they wanted to permeate the market and decided that quantity

outweighed quality.

:shrug:

Brian Cauchi  did a couple of 109s, and IIRC, found the fuselage short. He cut the kit just aft the cockpit and slid the tail back and voila! all the panel lines fell into place. He rescribed part of the fuselage, but it was a neat solution.

The surface detail is fantastic on the 109. The early Revell kits had a lot going on. 

Alas Mike there are tons of other dimension and shape issues. John Beaman published a fantastic book many years ago. It had scale plans showing how to correct the existing kits. The Revell one was analyzed in detail in that publication. By the way, it is still one of the very best sources of 109 1/32 scale plans. 

https://www.scalemates.com/cs/books/the-last-eagles-1-john-r-beaman-jr--107888

3 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Brian Cauchi  did a couple of 109s, and IIRC, found the fuselage short. He cut the kit just aft the cockpit and slid the tail back and voila! all the panel lines fell into place. He rescribed part of the fuselage, but it was a neat solution.

The surface detail is fantastic on the 109. The early Revell kits had a lot going on. 

The A6M was the first of the big Revell kits that I had, and I recall with a great degree of clarity that I was super impressed with the exterior molding.

2 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Alas Mike there are tons of other dimension and shape issues. John Beaman published a fantastic book many years ago. It had scale plans showing how to correct the existing kits. The Revell one was analyzed in detail in that publication. By the way, it is still one of the very best sources of 109 1/32 scale plans. 

https://www.scalemates.com/cs/books/the-last-eagles-1-john-r-beaman-jr--107888

I have that book (as a pdf), but have never actually read it. Perhaps it's time I did.

The Revell Japan 32nd kits are a great way to have some nostalgia but end up with reasonably accurate models. Revell's domestic kits from that time look like they were done from basic dimensions and photographs, particularly their Bf-109 and Curtiss P-40. Their Ki-43 I've already mentioned and their F4F Wildcat being notable exceptions that I'm familiar with, having built them so many years ago.