Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito XVII?

Pete Roberts

Yes, I'd like an NF.XVII too — though in my case a XIX universal/bullnose, which was a new build based on the FB.VI airframe. 

They could be extra nice and thrown in the NF.XIII thimble nose too, as well as AI VIII and X radar sets for the RAD/NAV sat at right.

Tony 

10 hours ago, Pete Roberts said:

Well, one can hope, can't they?

They have tweaked the P51D to an F51, so maybe they could tweak their Mosquito II/VI to a XVII? After all, it began life as a Mk II on the production lines. Tamiya can replicate real life! :) 

PR

They've 'tweaked' every other 1/32 scale a/c kit they released 'except' the Mosquito.

Unless you count jets ... F-16 .  They should do a MkIV to make everybody happy,

then move on to some P-47s , Hurricanes,  ...

.........  109s

IrdWqRS.gif

The NF Mossie would require just one or two little sprues for the three different noses (bow & arrow, thimble & bullnose), three black boxes for the cockpit (AI Mk IV, VIII & X), some wing antennae and needle blades plus new wheel hubs for an early II.

From that you could offer an NF.II, XII, XIII, XVII & XIX — five different versions from one box, all of which saw extensive service.

If they do go down the B.IV route with the big revisions required — new fwd fuselage, new cockpit, new clear parts — then go the whole way and provide cameras for a PR.IV.

Then do a new tool Tomcat. But I suspect there may be no new tools for a long time. Even some new variants have seemingly drawn to a close: no RF-4E, no F-16D etc. 

Tony 

My feeling is the Mosquito has not been a sales success for them.  I have one to build myself and it is a massive kit, probably the most complex 1/32 that they have done.  I bet we don’t see another mosquito issue or variant of this kit for a long time.  

1 hour ago, cbk57 said:

My feeling is the Mosquito has not been a sales success for them.  I have one to build myself and it is a massive kit, probably the most complex 1/32 that they have done.  I bet we don’t see another mosquito issue or variant of this kit for a long time.  

I think you are probably correct, the Mossie might have been a case of “a bridge too far” but since they have already incurred the up front costs for design, tooling, etc, it seems that offering these minimal change versions would have a pretty good return on investment for them.   

13 hours ago, John1 said:

I think you are probably correct, the Mossie might have been a case of “a bridge too far” but since they have already incurred the up front costs for design, tooling, etc, it seems that offering these minimal change versions would have a pretty good return on investment for them.   

If that is the case, it's also bad news for those wanting a Tamiya Beaufighter, and maybe also a P-38.  Plus a long list of other multi engine planes.

Cheers,

Michael

22 minutes ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

If that is the case, it's also bad news for those wanting a Tamiya Beaufighter, and maybe also a P-38.  Plus a long list of other multi engine planes.

Cheers,

Michael

The only thing going for us is that Tamiya never ceases to surprise.   They released the Mossie in 48th before going for the large scale kit.  Maybe that means there is still a chance they'll come through with some new stuff.  If I had to guess, I'd put money on a 109G-6 or a Lightning.  

17 hours ago, Tony T said:

The NF Mossie would require just one or two little sprues for the three different noses (bow & arrow, thimble & bullnose), three black boxes for the cockpit (AI Mk IV, VIII & X), some wing antennae and needle blades plus new wheel hubs for an early II.

From that you could offer an NF.II, XII, XIII, XVII & XIX — five different versions from one box, all of which saw extensive service.

If they do go down the B.IV route with the big revisions required — new fwd fuselage, new cockpit, new clear parts — then go the whole way and provide cameras for a PR.IV.

Then do a new tool Tomcat. But I suspect there may be no new tools for a long time. Even some new variants have seemingly drawn to a close: no RF-4E, no F-16D etc. 

Tony 

Re the PR variants, my thoughts exactly.  Sadly, I think it unlikely given that HKM have a couple of B/PR variants in their catalogue.  If Tamiya ever do put put out another Mosquito, I think a development of the FB VI, such as the NF series you postulate, is more likely.

Big difference in cost between an R-35 and a 1/32 LSP.  I saw the comment above about loss of hope for Beaufighter and P-38.  I think chances of a 1/32 Tamiya Beaufighter are zero and will never happen.  But I think the P-38 could happen.  Tamiya has done a number of obscure French tanks in the last few years including a  1/35 Renault armored tractor.  In general they have done a fair amount of WWII foreword French Armor so they must feel there is a decent market.  

If I were betting, I would say the only multi engine prop LSP we might ever see from Tamiya as an all new kit will be a P-38.  I don't think after the Mosquito they will ever tool anything that might have any risk.  I don't think a P-38 is a given but it has a shot of getting done.

I don't think we can compare LSP to armor.  It is kind of like 1/48 to LSP, just a different market and a lot different cost.  The new R-35 is a tiny kit, if you look at the build on Andy''s you tube site it looks like it was about half the size or less of a sherman.  

Edited by cbk57