Dear Aftermarket Decal Providers: F-51D Korea & ANG decals?

One-Oh-Four

As the title says: Do you see merit (preferably profit <_<;) ) in producing decals for Tamiya's forthcoming F-51D? The "Was that too Fast"-option is already (too) well known from the 48th scale offering...

Besides, many ANG units flew the F-51D in very colourful markings. Heck, even some active USAF units had you take out your sunglasses...

Thanks in advance, guys!

Erik.

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi,

There are already some options.

Two 1/32 Korean war F-51D decal sets have been produced: one from AIMS and another one from PRINT-SCALE.

Ventura released many years ago a New Mexico ANG P-51 set. 

Hth 

Thierry 

I used the Ventura set on a Tamiya D in 1:48 some years ago.  For anyone not familiar, the NM ANG replaced the fuselage national marking with the NM state emblem; I believe other states' ANG units did likewise (their own state symbol, not NM's, obvs. :D), but photos seem quite scarce.

Here is what you get from AMS and Print Scale - Note for the AMS set, you have to paint the red portion of the sharkmouths and they only give you the red stripes to modify the US national insignia from the earlier WW2 version.   Also, they don't give you the white polka-dots for "Oh Kaye Baby" .  A bit disappointing IMO.  

Lastly, take the illustrations for all these aircraft with a grain of salt.  Some were not natural metal, they were painted aluminum lacquer, others had black wing stripes and some other markings that were not shown in the illustrations.  

49283460348_7baedbdcf9_b.jpg

49283937481_4284c14590_b.jpg

Note that the AIMS sheet markings for ‘Oh Baby’ are less than ideal

• Based on pics, the ‘Oh Baby’ should have a white or yellow shadow, and the font style looks off
  • The mission markings are over-scale
  • the buzz number is the incorrect size as well. I ended up resizing and making a stencil for the buzz number on silhouette.
  • As noted there are no dots - it takes two layers of punched white decal to cover the blue spinner without the blue bleeding through

hope this perspective helps

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

The problem with ANG markings is that 1/50 of the potential market is interested in any given state's aircraft.  And if you did ten different states on one sheet, you'd still have four out of five modelers dissatisfied.  That's why Bare Metal stopped doing ANG decals years ago.

Good point. I've been considering the Super Scale sheet (1:48) for the MOANG F-15 Eagle for quite some time now, but still haven't committed to the purchase yet. Markings for the MOANG F-84, F-100, F-4 and F-15 are all I'd ever be interested in as far as air guard units are concerned.